Sunday, February 6, 2011

Jamaica 69 - Matehuala Rides Again 7"

Life is good...just got done re-alphabetizing my records (no small feat), which reminds me of taking my own mental inventory. A seemingly linear thing to do but there's something holistic about that, worthy of a ceremonial puff of tobacco.   Digressing...was checking out some of my favorite sites similar to this one and was admiring their short but sweet take on the music, something if you've spent any time around here, I have a hard time doing. An obstacle (which is what the word "sin" means) to enjoying this place, how I seem to enjoy reading my own writing.  I work with people who enjoy the sound of their own voices and I don't like that... Heard a double shot of the Kinks on the radio the other day, two tunes worth sharing from these pre-punksters.   The first, their 1966 classic, describing people you probably know, maybe even your Dad (sorry for the shitty sounding rip), The Kinks - A Well Respected Man The second, this version recorded live 20 years later about the shared hatred of two brothers, but I think we can relate to as a general point of view, The Kinks - Hatred (a duet) Stumbled across these sites, 420 Music Blog (a lot more musical variety than the blog title suggests) and LBC 90804.  Was actually looking for some live bootleg Sublime stuff and encountered a band from my past, Slightly Stoopid.  Saw those guys play in San Diego in the late 90's and was blown away (got in a fight with my then girlfriend after the show partying with the band because I felt like she was getting too flirty with the singer...I was stupid when I was drunk). Anyway these guys have some obvious influences like Operation Ivy/Rancid, Sublime/Long Beach All Stars and I guess that whole punk/hardcore/reggae/ska thing in general. Kinda fit well with well with the main band for this post.  These tunes are off their 1996 self titled album on Brad Nowell's Skunk Records, their best in opinion because it's got the most hardcore injected into it. slightly stoopid - operation slightly stoopid - opportunities slightly stoopid - stop slightly stoopid - american man As I said, what I was looking for was some live Sublime, so here's a taste of that, Sublime - Saw Red Sublime - Pool Shark-Myage-z-man "Now I've got the needle and I can't bleed, but I can't breathe. Take it away and I want more and more One day I'm gonna lose the war" ...speaking of dead junkies, I stumbled across this interesting site, Fuller Up: The Dead Musician Directory ...then Hudley Flipside mentioned another better site on that same topic, Dead Punk Stars This record goes out to my good bro Alex. A tall glass of water and a wide cup of coffee to the memories of skanking away. Alex was the skank master...have you put on your dancing shoes in a while. This also goes out to the RA in the dorms that told you and Gilbert to turn off your "hat dancing music". What I expected when I got this was some Mexican ska from the year 1969, but this 7" was recorded in 2003. The other down side to it was that it had  two massive warps.  Warps so huge I thought for sure it would not be playable, but I think it sounds okay.  On the upside this is some VERY sweet 60's Jamaica styled ska (that may not be favorable to some).  I know nothing about Jamaica 69 except that they take me to back to those carefree times of limited responsibility and hanging out with the homeboys.

 

Mi Generacion Rudy Enamorado Se Acabo El Amor Sexy Reggae Edit: Not quite as short of a post as I thought it was going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment