Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dave Goodman and Friends - Justifiable Homicide 7"

Any clue what the hell this is from? That's some trippy shit.

Things are kinda slow around here which works out well as I may be slowing down as well. I picked up my son Liam from the Denver airport on the 20th, he flew in from his Mom's in North Carolina. We have plans to do all kinds of shit so things may get scarce around here. If you have something to say then please say it, I will still be responding to comments. On top of that my old Humboldt buddy Sam Atakra is going to be sending all kinds of KHSU radio shows and band demos on cassette for me to rip, edit, label and post. Gonna be a real treat and gonna blow the shit outta my Humboldt category. Be looking out for that.

Papalotl3Speaking of Humboldt, another old college buddy of mine Alex who actually goes back to my Burbank High School days (there was three of us from BHS who ended up at HSU), dropped me a line via email the other day.  He sent me a picture of this painting he had done on wood (click on the image because this small photo doesn't do it justice).  In my reply to him I told him it was fucking "alive".  Always been a fan of his work, in fact I've been meaning to get frames for some of the paintings/drawings he's done for me over the years.  Really into this one and on top of that he included a poem that goes with the painting (awful nice of him to translate into English, my Spanish is a little rusty).

La Muerte                                                  Death Devora el cuerpo                                    Devours the body Con una lengua de pedernal               With its tongue made of flint Liberando el papalote                           Liberating the butterfly Que es nuestra alma                               That is our soul Esta mariposa ephemera                      This ephemeral butterfly Se alimeta                                                    Nourishes itself Con las flores                                              With the flowers De su dulce                                                  Of its sweet Y embriagante                                           And intoxicating Mirada                                                           Gaze

NUGGETSOff and on around here I've been dabbling or casually exploring the "garage rock" thing.  For the most part looking backwards round here, even though I did review a few products of 2011 because they were at least good.  Gotta say I get shitloads of requests for reviews and as far as I've seen 2011 is not a stellar year for music.  Nothing wrong with learning about history and enjoying it's products.  So as I said, "garage rock"...very interesting and makes for some damn good listening.  Latest discovery is the Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era.  Supposedly what brought about the first garage revival.  Started out as a 2 LP thing and eventually made it's way to being a four disc affair, along with some other comps that continued with that general them.  The guy behind Killing Moon Music has kindly uploaded that for your listening pleasure.  I looked into buying it on ebay, but it tends to go for a lot so will just have to wait until the time is right.  Along those line, when I had first started listing to MC5 and the Stooges, there was another Detroit band mentioned almost in the same sentence, The Up.  Finally got around to listening to them and although I still like those other Detroit bands better, they still manage to tear shit up on a few tunes (got to learn about the whole White Panther thing along the way). [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnCH3-JcHoU] Brian mentioned a supergroup by the name of Them Crooked Vultures in the last post, so thought I'd do a look around.  Another Dave Grohl project that admirably includes Mr. John Paul Jones.  Found a live set from 2010 floating around out there and was particularly into this first tune but the second one is worth a listen too.  On an almost unrelated side not, if you read their wiki article, the idea of a "digital 45" is sickening to me. [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77sF4HvvCWM] DG&F1What made this one stand out and say "buy me, put me with the rest of your records", when I saw it for cheap was the fact that you get Steve Jones (guitars) and Paul Cook (drums) of the Sex Pistols on this one, out of 1978.  I did not know that Dave Goodman was the live sound engineer for the Sex Pistols and apparently a very good one at that.  As far as I know this was "his" only release as a musician.  All in all not bad for the buck I think I paid for it.  The first of the  two tunes is easily my favorite with a kind of a sing a long pop punk thing going on.  The second tune is a instrumental early Pink Floyd diddy, that in it's instrumentalness seems incomplete.  Not sure about the rarity of this and in a half assed search I didn't find too much on it.  For me just a nifty little record and really that first tune is worth it.  Not too much else to say, I've said too much as it is, but remember that even though the posts may slow down a bit, I will be checking the comments daily...have a good day. [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_Ca1XWAmU]

No comments:

Post a Comment