Reoccurring realization today, again finding negativity in the Yahoo headlines...I HATE the term "stars". Sports, music, film, television, whatever, you are not a star, you are doing your fucking job. Your wealth and fame, your ups and downs, how much you spent on your mansion, whose dress you're wearing, nothing about your life interests me. Your job is to entertain me and if you do it well, I will watch you do whatever it is you do and ensure that you get paid too much to do it. The lady who everyday (except Sundays of course) down dusty, muddy, snowy, dirt roads, behind slow moving tractors, swerving to miss deer, faithfully delivers my mail, now she, is a "star" (and also my cousin...hahaha).
For you fellow coffee drinkers, maybe you can relate. I don't like those non drip coffee makers that allow you to fill your cup before the pot is completely done. All kinds of shit going on in the world and that's what bother's me...I know, I know. But the pot is a complete individual entity that has to go through it's full cycle to become the butterfly that it is. If you interrupt that cycle, if you mess with the cocoon so to speak, the pot is dead or at the very least you are left with a weak imitation of coffee. When I get after my wife for doing it, I call it taking the "nectar". Take the nectar and the flower is of no use to the bee. Know what I'm talking about, this is no bullshit and is a serious matter? You must maintain the integrity of the pot.
Raymond mentioned something I'd never heard, much less heard of, a Dave Grohl metal project called Probot. I was never a big Dave Grohl fan, I guess for a rediculous reason, his bands are/were popular. Got into Nirvana after Cobain scrabbled his brain and actually what got me headed in that direction was the Pat Smear connection. Never gave Foo Fighters a chance but I might have to correct that. Anyway...Probot? Impressive, not in that blow your mind kind of way, but PDG (pretty damn good). The whole concept of having some of the greatest metal and crossover vocalists do your songs is cool. I doubt that any of those guys would respond to my invitation at a similar project...fame and fortune have their advantages. This guy had an interesting review over at his 365 Albums in 365 Days. My favorite tune off the album is also it's shortest, featuring Mike Dean of Corrosion of Conformity fame,
Probot - Access Babylon (ft. Mike Dean)
...and the in case that got your juices flowing, the whole album!
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JkfBTQokTY&w=560&h=315]
A band I'd shamefully never heard before. Proto-goth or proto-death rock from around 1983. Looked into picking up some of their records, there a 7" and a 12" EP, but both command out of this world prices on ebay (they have been re-released though).
Part 1 - Funeral Parade (7")
The search for "new to me" music is a never ending journey for me and really I've just scratched the surface of what is out there. The day you stop learning (searching) is the day you're dead. Found this one little hidden niche of music in the form of Peruvian Garage/Surf Rock of the mid 60's. Fucking 'eh there's some damn good shit in a some of those bands/tunes or as Cheech would say, "oh so too much".
Los Saicos - Demolicion (this song really blows me away, if you listen to one song on this post, make it this mid 60s rager)
Vincent Damon Furnier didn't grab my attention when I first heard him in the 70's. These days I suppose I realize how important he was as far as the development of rock and roll, extreme in his time. The songs that I'm familiar with are "I'm 18","School's Out" and "Billion Dollar Babies", but those have been playing on the radio regularly for the last 40 years. Incidentally it was/is his connection to radio as a DJ of his syndicated "Night With Alice Cooper", that airs on the "big" corporate owned, classic rock station here from 7-10 on the weeknights. What I like about his show is that he plays a much better variety than they do regularly on the station which suffers badly from "playing the same shit over and over again". Cooper throws in live cuts, alternate takes, and has a ton of stories about his own encounters with the bands. So I've started exploring his stuff a little bit more and picked up this single 2 or 3 years ago. Dig this song cuz it's got that definite AC almost snottiness, mixed with the new wave/punk thing that was going on when it was released in 1980. Still a relevant song title today.
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ja9jTsGLSI&w=560&h=315]
My copy is a promo copy so it just has the mono version of Clones on the b-side. Tracked down the album this was off of, "Flush the Fashion" so here's the b-side, Model Citizen ...on the same album the opening track is a good cover of Music Machine's... Talk Talk
No comments:
Post a Comment