
This has to be one of my greatest GIF discoveries. I'm like a European explorer during the age of discovery...discovering places that were already occupied and claiming them for myself. If you've ever spent any time on a computer that is acting up or worse yet crashed, then you should be able to relate to the gory details of this wonderful little animation. Moral of the story...the computer always gets the best of you.
Nothing worth mentioning in my life...all is quiet. The world is still the way it is, beautiful and ugly at the same time. We continue to watch a lot of movies, mostly of the blood and guts variety but also those high dollar mainstream action flicks. The Mechanic wasn't too bad although it wasn't balls to the wall, but I'm a sucker for Jason Statham with his balding-ness and his approach to that condition...shave your fucking head (as opposed to a toupee, the comb-over, a hat for every occasion, spray paint, etc.). Not a bad sound track too which is always a plus for any flick and pulled this French/African ditty (perfect for a New Orleans setting) out of the mix...dig it
Nuru Kane - Goree
Today is the anniversary of Elvis' death...35 years I believe. I was with a Cuban baby sitter that day and I remember her saying "aye Dios mio, Elvis se mudio?" One of the two songs from Elvis' first recording in 1953...
Elvis Presley - That's When Your Heartaches Begin


Was going to post something else that I've been working on in the Humboldt vein, but I'm waiting for some liner notes from a buddy. Not wanting to wait too long to post anything, for fear of losing the therapy that this place provides me. Anyway the rip here represents the first time I listened to this thing. I picked it up not too long ago because the cover was interesting, the year of release was 1981 and the seller claimed that it had come from KROQ during his/her tenure there as some kind of staff support. On top of that was that it had a cover of Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" a tune later covered by the
Butthole Surfers in a masterful way. Did some searching and MK9 is a tough one, tons of hits for Mortal Kombat 9 and a 9mm called MK9 by Kahr Arms. There was a 2000's band called MK9 and a recent Underworld Records but neither are the same. Otherwise there were several of these for sale for anywhere between $20-40 (no way I paid that much). As I said this rip represents the first time I listened to this and my first impression is that I kinda dig it. It doesn't blow me way like Devo's stuff from that time but it's similar, maybe even more no wave-ish in an artsy kind of way. "Run Machines" could have been on a soundtrack for an early 80's, B space movie, while their cover of "Hurdy Gurdy Man" is unique and listenable. All in all not a bad little score and probably the first time this has seen the light of day since the 80's.
Run Machines
Hurdy Gurdy Man
No comments:
Post a Comment