A new pet peeve of mine, motherfuckers who start shit over the internet. And even though I've only run into that a few times, that shit is rampant. I never used to talk shit unless I planned on getting my ass kicked. Oh well, I've got to keep up with the times.
Getting cold where you guys are at? I'm reminded every year that I can do below zero temperatures with no problem, but it's that fuckin', well below zero, windchill. No jacket think enough you know? Makes me think of my landlord working on an oil rig in North Dakota. Speaking of landlords, we will be homeowners starting February 1st...yeah!
Had a ska moment, does anybody else get those? Was discussing Madness' "One Step Beyond", a song that captured me in the early 80's to the point where I took classes in saxophone in college. Just when you think you know everything, I discovered the other night that it was a sped up cover of an incredible original... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ukZmiFKzog&w=560&h=315] So I got to thinking about my live ska experiences, which are very few that I can recall. Dave Wakeling of the (English) Beat moved to San Diego while I was living there, so I'd go down to Ocean Beach with the first wife, get high and drunk and see him play (about a dozen times). He was actually really good, the old tunes and his new ones. Now that I think about it though, is that ska...hmmm. My real 1st generation ska moment (twice, once in Humboldt and once in Solana Beach) was seeing the Skatalites. [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9HyXc4e7Qc] ...an acoustic thing Wakeling did on the radio in San Diego... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmwW9aS0A5Y]
We've already seen Dieselhed's round here at the Relics, but it's hard to go overboard on sweetness. Wikipedia describes them as "a San Francisco-based band, originally from Arcata, California." I will always think of them as a Humboldt band that spread their wings and escaped, So many good fucking bands came out of that place, but very few made it out into the big world. I've gone into them on previous posts, so suffice it to say that these guys play some seriously good, sophisticated, quirky, sing along, tight shit. Here is a vid of them covering Pink Floyd's "Time"...
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlBUy_O3Dk]
...and doing one of my favorite songs. [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDPi6bP8GRA]
No comments:
Post a Comment