
A lot of my fellow bloggers don't like getting hit up for reviews, not sure why, it satisfies that lazy Roman emperor side in me to have the music coming my way instead of having to search far and wide, slave away and toil, beg and steal, for it. This latest one is from Jamarcus Drake, a jack of all trades, who sits in all of the chairs for this thing, his thing
Mao Tzu. Obviously I admire musicians in general, so it goes without saying that a guy who does everything is worthy of some praise. Dude has his shit together, at least musically. Ja(Marc)us is a young guy judging from the pics, but the sound doesn't come off as amateurish or stupid. He reminds me of one of my close friends growing up, Alexander Wallace IV, who could play just about any instrument and would fuck around with a 4 track, coming up with all kinds of shit (that's where the similarity ends, as rumor has it that my old buddy Alex killed himself years ago...wish I hadn't lost touch with him). The music here is simple yet intricate at times, if that makes sense, and varies quite a bit, but it's cohesive enough to tell that it came from one band (guy). The sound ranges from what I call heroin music (maybe a little on the fast side), like Sparklehorse (who have been featured around here...BTW the brainchild of a guy who killed himself), checkout "Case Closed", to an almost industrial thing you get in "Curb Your Enthusiasm". There's a few tunes that I haven't included that don't do much for me, not to say they're bad, they just didn't do much for me. I like the combination of electronics, live instruments (especially the drums, ala the Beastie Boys) and samples. I'd be interested in knowing all the equipment and instruments used. Not sure if Marc was just fucking around bored or if he put a ton of time into it, but the outcome is fucking cool and doesn't sound hoaky. As I said these are the some of the tunes that spoke to me, but you can get all 11, plus some other output at the link in their name, up above. Dig it or don't...
MaoTzu - Case Closed
MaoTzu - Dragon Ball Bitch
MaoTzu - Full Metal Torrent (FWLTF)
MaoTzu - Curb Your Enthusiasm (Cadence)
No comments:
Post a Comment