All-girl 60s, surf, punk rock'n'roll!!! These gals have been playing around Minneapolis for the last year catching the attention of garage fans locally, including your's truly. So I was beyond excited when they approached me about putting out a record. It really was about time they released an injection of their Joan Chuck Berry Jett meets The Rollingstones laced jams on a hot slab of 7" wax for the rest of you. Spring/Summer Midwest tour in the works and a new video soon!
Web Link to L'Assassins Tunes/Bio: www.bigactionrecords.net/LAssassins.html
Line up:
Tea Ann Simpson - Vocals
Monet Wong - Guitar/Vocals
Ariel Dornbush - Bass Vocals
Angela Clark - Drums/Vocals
For fans of:The God Damn Do Whop Band, Joan Jett, Surf, Rock'n'RollFormat : 7" 45
Release date: 4/1/12
Contact: Zabby
915 Scheffer Ave
Saint Paul, MN
55102 USA
From the get go L'Assassins kick ass. All three songs shred on this puppy and as happens sometimes with the shortness of the 7" format, you are left wanting more. They're pretty much as described, surf with that punk snottiness standing on a rockabilly foundation. If I was Zabby, handling their stuff, I'd send a copy to Quentin Tarrantino, as any one of these tunes could easily be in a soundtrack to one of his flicks. The fat guitar sound makes me wish I had better speakers on my computer, but when I spun it on the turntable using the my stereo's speakers I was impressed by that and the nice bass sound (maybe I have the bass turned up to high though). I like the vocalist, a little edge in her voice. On the tune I've included the singer sounds a lot like Wendy O. Williams of the Plasmatics, and as such really lends itself to the punk sound. You can listen to all three tunes at their website above, but I like to have a little something here as well...my favorite of the three, makes you want to dance the "jerk"...
...a vid from their first ever show, great stuff...
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlxdnCOZt0w&w=640&h=360]
No comments:
Post a Comment