
I hate it when my wife gets the mail first because she plexes on how I'm always getting records and how can that be since we're broke all the time. I have to constantly explain to her that either I bought the record for a ridiculously low price (sometimes just pennies more than the shipping cost) or it was being sent to me for review. I don't think she believes me that there are one or two people in the world who are curious what I to say, but that may be because my mouth has gotten me into all kinds of trouble in the past. She must have been double bummed because with professional packaging and the fact that the record is built like a tank being pressed on 180 gram vinyl. The band and I had some correspondence prior, this is what they had to say...
"We appreciate the work you do on the website and want to let you know about our new record that was released on this February (submitted here for your consideration). We’re a Chicago band called Nonagon. We’ve been playing in and around the Midwest lo these 6 or 8 years. We’re comprised of Tony Aimone (whose previous bands include The Blue Meanies and Taylor), Robert Gomez, and John Hastie (who both played in a bunch of bands you won’t remember). Our recorded output has been admittedly sparse, so we’re treating the February release of our new EP as something of a big deal. We’re hoping you might humor us by considering a feature or a review or an interview or adding it to your playlist or even just a listen... People Live Everywhere is a 5-song EP pressed on 180g vinyl. It was recorded over 3 days in the spring of 2011 at Kerguelen Studio, a one-room, all-analog facility in Astoria, NYC run by Justin Foley – he of the band The Austerity Program - who wielded the mics and turned the knobs. Mastered by Bob Weston at Chicago Mastering Service. Packaged with a card for a free download of the mp3s. Jacket designed by Robert Gomez using photographs by Nathan Keay. We did a “commercial” for the record that is posted here: http://youtu.be/T40mD6PE5ts. People Live Everywhere is a decidedly DIY affair. All planning, promotion, selling, and funding has been handled by the band ourselves. We’re pretty dang proud of how it’s all gone so far. Stream the EP here: www.nonagonchicago.bandcamp.com (this, aside from our shows and a couple of Chicago record stores, is also the primary retail option)
Free Track Download for the public: http://nonagonchicago.bandcamp.com/track/fresnel-lens
Vinyl copies can be obtained by contacting us at nonagonchicago@gmail.com.
Here’s a place you can go for more information and ephemera:
http://nonagon.us/media/people-live-everywhere
If there’s anything else you want to know about (lyrics, interviews, the good folks of the PRF, how we stay so young looking, etc.), CONTACT US at.
nonagonchicago@gmail.com
www.nonagonchicago.bandcamp.com
www.nonagon.us
https://www.facebook.com/nonagonchicago
Like when Mom held your hand to go across the street, you should have no problem getting to know these guys. There's a lot of links there to check out and links within links...links to stream the music, links to other reviews, enough to satisfy any link fetish. When I wrote back to the band (John) asking for a physical copy of the record, I already knew I dug these guys. Glad that I did get a physical copy because as it should be with any record you get, the package that holds the music is a work of art unto itself, the finest in DIY craftsmanship. The music takes up where that leaves off and is excitingly, not a disappointment. These guys don't fuck around when it comes to their music and play their instruments like they go to sleep with them every night. The music is furious but it's not angry at all. One of the reviewers suggested that they sounded like Fugazi, which kinda puzzled me so I went and listened to some of the Fugazi stuff I have. I'd say Nonagon listen to Fugazi and are maybe influenced by them, but they have a more urgent almost jazzy sound. I was thinking along the lines of Amphetamine Reptile and Touch and Go type bands, Killdozer a little bit in their slower, maybe Jesus Lizard when they speed things up, but what the hell do I know. I do know that they have instantly become Mustard Relics and will be on a list that I probably won't come up with of top finds in 2012. Check out the first tune (they all rock) on this bad boy...
Vikings
Always one to take it one step further I've gone through the trouble of getting a few tunes off their first (2008) release. More of their killer sound really, maybe just a little less refined, but still very digable (maybe I can get these guys to send me a hard copy of this too)...
Fake Baby Lucius
Perlerorneq
On this live set these studs show that they're not just studio musicians and in fact they shred live. Sadly, their mid-west-ness is very different geographically (and culturally) from mine so I don't imagine they'll be playing in my neck of the woods...hmmm
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crsGDq5OWeg&w=640&h=360]
No comments:
Post a Comment