Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Dickies - Paranoid b/w I'm Ok, You're Ok 7"

A snapshot I took of a youtube video I ripped of the season 2 finale of the Walking Dead, which is a based on a comic book series by the same name (I'm not familiar with the comic series). I don't know if any of y'all watch that show, but when they introduced this new character (Michonne) it just blew me away. With it being a season finale, I of course have to wait 6 months for it to kick back in. My wife says the show is my soap opera, and with the drama involved I suppose it is, but it's a soap opera with fucking ZOMBIES man! For better or worse (AMC is a Fox company) it's pushing the limits of what can be shown on primetime TV. I remember DJing on KHSU and having to wait until after midnight to play music with cuss words.  There is a case going before the Supreme Court, I think where Cher cussed on live TV during an awards show, that may end up crippling or completely doing away with the FCC anyway. The wife was cutting out an ingrown toenail for me the other day and not to get too deeply esoteric or anything but what did people's toes look like before there was toenail clippers. I suppose the wealthy guy and gal probably had some tools for that purpose, but the average Joe must have had some horrible looking toes or feet.  Makes you wonder when did the foot fetish first become popular?  Anyway cutting out that ingrown toenail left me with puppy dog eyes for the old lady.  Made me think of how in a Bugs Bunny carton, Bugs pulls a thorn out of a lion's paw and the lion was forever indebted to him. The Dickies were not a band I really was into in the late 70s early 80s. The guy's voice drove me nuts and I was pretty much just into the political/social bands of the time, not the sillycore stuff.  I suppose another factor was the fact that they were a big label band almost from the getgo.  Of course times change, and I grew to appreciate these guys for the punk icons they were (are), and a good band is just that.  This was their 2nd single in 1978, preceded by their ten inch single and their demo from 1977.  What you get here is undoubtedly the best "Paranoid" cover ever recorded along with a super snotty punked number.  I suppose they are still around today which makes it something like 35 years, check their Facebook.  Anyway...

 

Paranoid I'm Ok, You're Ok Well ripping this got my curiosity going as I'd never heard the demo that was made in November of 1977.  Difficult as hell to find as the demo itself as I'm sure it wasn't released on cassette as demos were back then, for just anybody and everybody to buy.  It was probably just for record companies and radio stations.  Turns out this guy has it posted just as it sounded on my favorite radio show (the reason I discovered punk rock) the Rodney on the ROQ show. Check that out on Chrisosurfs, well worth a listen to just hear Rodney. A little more searching and I found out that on the ROIR cassette release of the Dickies' "We Aren't the world" they have those demo tracks. I found them at Anajondas-Stash. Needless to say I was blown the fuck away, it doesn't get any punker than this...guaranteed... Hideous I'm OK, You're OK You Drive Me Ape (You Big Gorilla) Walk Like an Egg Just for the hell of it I went ahead and found some of the other covers The Dickies did... Silent Night Hair Nights In White Satin (Moody Blues) Nobody But Me (Isley Brothers) She (The Monkeys) Pretty Ballerina (The Left Banke) Eve of Destruction (Barry McGuire) Sounds of Silence (Simon & Garfunkle)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment