
Got this long anticipated piece of wax in the mail the other day (the lady who delivers the mail is a cousin, but I'm sure she gets sick and tired of me harassing her about packages). I mentioned these guys/gal a while back in
September of 2011 and I was already worshiping at their altar, prior to any proper release. I may be accused of bias, because as I mentioned back then, the bass player is an old junior high school buddy of mine, Lee Powers. But there is absolutely no bias, this band is rock fucking solid and they don't fuck around. I asked Lee to do a little write up...
"Death on the Radio formed about a year ago back then we had a different guitar player and drummer they wanted to do something else so we parted ways ... Mary and I are the only members left from that incarnation we picked up Roger Delong for a Halloween show with the white trash debutantes and the fagz oc and we kept him cause he's got a great style that's all his own. After that show we picked up Danny Dorman on guitar( original bass player for Circle One , Wasted Youth and the Livingstons , still plays with aggression sometimes ) and thus the new Death on the Radio was formed. Our first show together was with the Mau Maus on New Years eve at the redwood bar in Downtown La, we had to play after them which was tough and great all at the same time. There is some video up on YouTube from that show and we did an
interview with punk globe magazine that night and also an
interview with 3 quick questions with Ian Missman."
My buddy Mike beat me to the punch on reviewing this record over at his always awesome
Strange Reaction. He's spot on with his review. The band seems to be pretty hot in LA right now from what I can tell (1500 miles away) and they no doubt deserve it, because these two tunes are like an ice coffee when it's 115 degrees outside. If you don't have a turntable (sadly most people don't, these are the days we live in) this record would be a reason to go out and fucking get one...seriously. To say that this band has a good singer is a profound understatement. Mary (Lee's wife) can do the hardcore hollering or the soulful singing. My first thought was of comparing her to Wendy O. who was an out of this world singer, but that would just conjure up images of boobies and whipped cream...that's not what Mary's about and I don't think you'd see Lee in a tutu (Ritchie Stotts). Maybe if you did some gene manipulation and you crossed Wendy O. with Pat Benatar with Joan Jet...yeah that sounds good. With a singer like that who can really belt out the tunes, you have to have a band that can rock out on their own and they certainly do (I wanna sing for this band). Not sure where to put them, kind of a hard rockin, metal-y, post punk kind of thing. The simple fact is that the tunes keep you engaged from beginning to end with great verses and choruses that hook you right in. There's quite a few vids on youtube to select from including
an early one with that first lineup Lee was talking about, along with a lady banging on the the timbales (kinda dug that). At this time the only way you can pick up this bad boy is by getting in touch with the band on their
Facebook. For now, I tried something new and just ripped you shortened samples of the tunes to listen to, cuz I want this to sell the fuck out...
Life On The Line
Pleasure and Pain
...turns out they have live vids of both these tunes...
"Life On The Line"
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVmvKnfDYdA&w=560&h=315]
"Pleasure and Pain"
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPlKyiIYnxU&w=560&h=315]
No comments:
Post a Comment