Friday, August 17, 2012

Los Microwaves - Radio Heart b/w Coast To Coast 7"

Watched the hell outta Mister Rodgers' Neighborhood and Sesame Street as a kid, I think we all did in the 60's and 70's, along with Saturday morning cartoons. There's been internet rumors that Fred Rodgers was some kind of special forces elite killer in Vietnam and that he wore long sleeves to cover up his tattoos, but they are false (unfortunately for those that like a little irony).

 

This one, from 1979, is the 2nd 7" from these guys/gal. Not sure why I got it, the cover is very bland (maybe minimalist is what they were looking for), but I think I was hoping for something along the lines of the Plugs, as the band seemed to be made up of latinos (if last names are any indication).  Outta Frisco originally but they ended up in New York.  That's about all I know except that this music has 79' written all over it.  They fit into that grey area in between Punk and New Wave like a lot of bands did at that time.  The keyboards kind of lean them into the New Wave area for me, but even with that it's got kind of disco synth vibe and really they're not snotty enough for me to call them punk (I'm tired of trying to pigeon hole music anyway).  I'm not even sure I like the two tunes here, they're both very repetetive and dated.  But if quirkiness counts for anything, then they have it made, and something nostalgic in me about the late 70's makes it worthwile.  Have a feeling that even as diverse as I am around here this one may not appeal to the five guys who come around and comment (300,945 thousand unique hits and I'm lucky if I get a comment or two).  Maybe this will stir up a little negative response.  Dig it or don't... Radio Heart Coast To Coast

 

I was curious about what the first 7" sounded like, so I hunted that down and found it at an interesting site called Pukekos.  The first tune is more of the same, maybe a little popier, while the 2nd one is like a Santana meets New Wave thing (and not just because of some Spanish lyrics).  Like I said before, dig it or don't but at least you can tell your grandkids that you've heard Los Microwaves... I Don't Want To Hold You Forever

 

No comments:

Post a Comment