Friday, September 7, 2012

VA - Anglican Scrape Attic 7" flexi

Had never seen the video, just the pictures which in themselves made a powerful statement.  I guess people are doing it these days too.  Not sure how a guy does that unless you have a pretty intense vision of the afterlife.  I've been suicidal but for stupid shit, and I certainly would not have made any statement except that people would have thought I was a selfish bastard.  This though is the epitome of an unselfish act. Was going through my media player on the computer the other day and seeing what kind of stuff I have, about 500 gb worth, and maybe listen to something I hadn't in a while.  Found it ironic how I preach about the importance of having physical copies of the stuff and I have so much digital crap...oh well, call it lazy or call it too expensive to pick up for myself.  For some reason I was wanting to hear the Faith/Void split. I have it on vinyl but I couldn't find it among the mountains of mp3s. So sticking with the digital moment, instead of ripping it (or much better listening to it on vinyl), I decided to see if I could track it down from a pirate (am I a pirate?).  Very easy find, it's basically all over the place, but I can't stand a blog that just posts links to the music with maybe a scan, without at least giving his two cents.  You can get it from this guy for example, he at least has something to say. Funny how everyone (I did find one who disagreed) likes the Void side better...I do too. It turns out that in my wanderings they, much later, released what is called the Faith/Void/Faith cd, which is the split plus Faith's "Subject to Change" ep. You can find that out there too for download, if that's how you roll, but do the bands a favor and go get it from Dischord. For now, the best song on either side of the split... Void - Who are You? Another one that I was in the mood for was the Heresy "Never Healed" flexi. One of the finest examples of music ever put to a flexi disc. The poor sound almost lends itself to the vibe of the tunes. Not that rare though, there was 3000 made, but I couldn't find any on ebay and the cheapest one Discogs is $35.  Have that record too (maybe I should post it, but I'm sure the links are dead because someone reported them...Earache maybe?), I was on a roll, so WTF. I'll be damned, in my search, there were several blogs that had it posted, but the external links were dead. Had to settle for a last resort...Filestube, to find at least an upload. I hate using that site, so impersonal, but even that place is dying with the collapse and corruption of external file storage sites. There was just one song I wanted to hear anyway... Looked on utoob and couldn't find the tune there either so I uploaded it, hahaha. ASA1Was kinda thinking about flexis now, so went on a search for another one of the best flexis ever put out...the Anglican Scrape Attic comp.  Another one that's not all that rare, 5000 pressed, but I didn't find any on ebay and at discogs it starts at 20 bucks from England.  Pretty sure I got mine when it first came out in '85 through mailorder.  I used to get Flipside and Maximum Rock and Roll all the time and would look through the ads and reviews for stuff to pick up.  I think this was released by the same guys who released the Heresy flexi, Dig (of Earache) and Kalv (of Heresy) but this was earlier.  All the blogs who have posted this have dead external links too, but this time, I figure it's been out of print for almost 30 years, so what the hell, let's give you a chance to give it a listen.  There's not a disappointing track on this bad boy and you get quite the variety in styles.  They were all previously unreleased tracks except the Hirax one, which is disappointing, even though it's a good tune.  They may have been released later, but I didn't research it that far.  Tough to pick a fave, they're all classics in their own way.  Sacrilege was always my favorite and I played the hell out of this thing (so the sound may suck even more than it did when it was brand new), but listening to it, as I ripped it, I was kinda favoring the Concrete Sox tune.  Japan, UK, USA, the big three of mid 80's metallic hardcore (although Germany and Italy may be open to debate) are represented.   I have a feeling that the dead links on all the previous uploads of this is for the same reason the Heresy one is mostly dead, so this may be the first thing I've been asked to take down.  I honestly could not find that it has been re-released in any way shape or form so give it a listen while you can...

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSIrhTx__ZI]

No comments:

Post a Comment