Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Rifle - S/T 7"

MR1Another new one, from Freddy over at Wardance Records, that I think a guy would be stupid not to want to pick up.  This one has everything going for it, like a 5 course meal.  I'm going through this comic book phase right now (just call me a late blooming nerd) and the first thing that hit me about it was the cover art...killer.  I wish more bands would put this kind of thought into the art that represents their art.  Then I was pleasantly surprised that this badboy was pressed on clear vinyl, my favorite (not sure if they're all pressed that way or not), but the hardest to tell if it's scuffed or scratched.  Beautiful!  Shit, we haven't even gotten to the music yet.  These guys are no greenhorns to putting out music, there's Ex-members of Life's Blood/Our Gang/Altercation (to refresh your memory, refer back to the New Breed Tape Compilation also released by Wardance).  As Freddy puts it, "Not retro or a rehash of past glories, this is now."  With their hardcore pedigree, these guys have something in the same vein...yet different.  This is like hardcore on 45 but played at 33.   Fucking beefy as hell.   What do they say on the east coast?  Moshin'?  The vocals kinda remind me of Dave Smalley (DYS) a little bit, but he's definitely doing his own thing and got his own flavor.  I dig the highlight of occasional backing vocals, too.  The guitar is a nice blend of a metallic power chord chunk.  The drummer isn't fucking around either, like the hardcore Bill Ward (Black Sabbath).  And the bass...damn, like a heartbeat played through a Marshal stack.  What's there not to like about this thing?  The only thing I can think of is I wish it was a full length record, four songs is just not enough.  Before you know it this thing is over, which means you play it again, right?  That's what I did anyway.  You can go get your own copy HERE...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment