
Just picked up this 7", had a search (with email reminders, you know what I mean if you're an ebay-head) going for it for quite some time, but was waiting for the right price and a new copy.
Dengue Fever (named after a mosquito borne virus, also known as breakbone fever) are this psychedelic indie thing with some hardcore 60's Cambodian Khmer pop thrown in, or is it vice versa. Way out of charted territory for me, but VERY diggable. The singer, Chhom Nimol has this completely mesmerizing voice that takes you off on a trip to far away lands. The guitarist, Zac is an old college schoolmate from Humboldt State (his brother Ethan, on the organ, may have gone there too). The bass player, Senon, also went to Humboldt, but I've known him since about kindergarten when we played AYSO soccer at Fairfax High in LA on the weekends. Funny small world thing, was my first day at Humboldt, I was in the quad of the Sunset (where I lived my first year) and Redwood dorms, talking to Gage, whom I had just met (but still friends to this day), and all of a sudden this 6'6" dreadlocked giant come up and says "hey Justin!" At the time I was sporting the bald head, bomber jacket look and I figured I was going to get accused of being some kind of nazi skin (yeah my dark skin and obviously mutt appearance didn't dissuade some people). The big smile on his face told me this was a friendly encounter and it turns out it was Senon. We hadn't seen each other in 6 years, since I stopped playing soccer at Fairfax. One of the cool people I have ever known. Anyway the rest of the band is Paul Smith on drums and David Ralicke on brass, they do a bang up job. Was thinking about rippin the 7" and posting it but it is readily available from the band. Up to the plate is utube and the folks who upload this kind of stuff. Found live versions of both tunes. Dig it don't, you at least have to try to educate yourself...
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1oFAD-uu5M&w=420&h=315]
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lgy1p6mdVg&w=560&h=315]
No comments:
Post a Comment