Saturday, March 2, 2013

Death Sentence / Cthuwulf split 7"

Wrong Turn 2The first Wrong Turn was a great horror flick, the 2nd one (this GIF is from that) was okay, but after that they got really stupid with all the short cuts that affected the quality.  I guess that sort of defines how horror enterprises progress.  Really that's how a lot of things are, the beauty of that initial inspiration and then it's all about to recreate that, without the spark, and it pales in comparison.  Rarely is the 2nd time around as good as the first. Anyway my buddy Josh does a podcast with a couple of his homies in the form of The Brood where they address horror movie topics.  These guys are a lot more sophisticated than I am, so much of it is over my head, but still very interesting. From the 403 Comp (Florida Fucking Hardcore), which makes it a sorta hard tune to come by, a band that is outta this world, one of a kind, often imitated, never duplicated (you can find more of their stuff around here if you look)... Assuck - Alabaster DS-C-2Had been after this one for quite a while, and then it came up on ebay for what I thought was dirt cheap.  Now there's a guy who seems to have a stack of them, that are starting out at $2 a piece.  I picked up a second copy because I liked it that much, to send to a buddy who had sent me a bunch of records.  That's how it's supposed to be among music lovers, we pass that shit on, it's almost as good as listening to it yourself.  I found out about this one because I followed the guitar player's (now dead) blog (Damaging Noise), it was really good, you missed out.  Among countless other treasures he (Sean) had posted the Cthuwulf discography.  Got myself a hard copy (CD) from Sean, but being a vinyl nut, especially 7"s, I had to get my greedy little hands one of these gems.  Sean had said that this thing was some of the best shit the band had recorded.  Anticipating this post, I shot Sean an email and asked him to give me a scoop, "it's not a bootleg. I've been in intermittent contact with singer Peter for over 10 years now. It was actually his idea to do the split as I was helping him get the official discography CD off the ground. The tracks were all taken from my collection as Peter had lost the masters in a fire. Of course i jumped at the chance to do a split with one of my fave bands. So I looked to my friend paul to release it and he immediately said yes. The Cthuwulf tracks were just a demo, but it's the only material we had at the time (and was several years old) as I believe the Gaishu Issyoku demo hand't been recorded or released yet. My old band Haisha recorded a cover of DS' song "Moral Majority". But yeah, it was our most painless release, came out fast too. Only problem were the labels where artwork was reversed for whatever reason. The girl on our side was my friend's crush, and he got a pic of her in his homemade larm hat. I thought that was too cool not to use."  Released in 2006, and while Cthuwulf is a band of the new millennium, Death Sentence has been around since the mid 80's.  Their tracks were taken from an unreleased mini-LP that was never released and another release from '86.  From top to bottom, left to right, side to side this thing is blistering hot.  The longest song on either side is 1:41, but both bands pack a lot of notes into each track and it's a 33 so you get as much tunage as you can pack onto 7"s.  Hardcore at it's best, without trying to be something they're not.  Cthuwulf leans heavy on Sean's guitar, that just seems to have just the perfect mix of effects/distortion.  I like too how the singers voice is kind of garbled and distorted as well.  There's almost a Japanese vibe to the sound, but I think these guys are big fans of Japcore.  Death Sentence are maybe just a tad bit faster, at least the drumming is at times (which doesn't make any difference), you're in for a rip roaring good time with them as well. Thrashcore, speedcore, hardcore?  ...both these bands deliver the goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment