Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pig Heart Transplant / Blue Sabbath Black Cheer split 7"

image0011In 1993 after I graduated from college I was working for Casa de Que Pasa in the evenings and Lindquist Landscaping during the day (a lot of good my degrees in Religious Studies and Philosophy were doing me, right?).  One involved free beer and Mexican food, and the other hard labor, speed/weed and beer for the long drive home. I remember being very stoked when one of the other laborers showed me this little trick.  In being a laborer you have to earn right and privileges.   Man when I was young I was a real stud when it came to manual labor, it was nothing to kick a shovel and swing a pick all day long.  We'd have wheelbarrow races with loads of rock or concrete.  Tom Lindquist didn't have a skid loader back then and never rented that or a concrete pump so everything was done by wheel barrow.  He told me that the only two things you REALLY need in the landscape construction business is a wheel barrow and a round point shovel, you could marginally do everything with those two tools.  Of course now at 44 I have herniated and bulging discs, and constant back pain but what the hell, that's part of being invincible and young.  I didn't think much of burning all those brain cells when I was young either and now can barely remember what I did yesterday. My latest musical discovery comes in the form of the Free Music Archive. A septic ton of listening to be found there, in all genres, a guy could spend weeks listening to all the tunes they have. Still on an industrial tip, I ended up at FMA, by way of the band Drums Like Machine Guns. Still a little under-educated on the various sub-genres of industrial music, but I'd say they fit somewhere in there. Shirt but sweet craziness... Drums Like Machine Guns - Big Titties and Bellies Found myself in a Japanese mood there for a minute the other day and ended up listening to this little bit of punk rock sweetness.  From their 1980 Sakhalin Smile LP... The Stalin - ロマンチスト PHT-BSBCSome downright dark and dirty stuff for you here from roundabout 2008.  New discoveries for me going hand in hand with my recent explorations into the industrial realm.  I guess technically this is a sub-genre of industrial, called dark ambient.  Pretty perfect name for what it sounds like.  Payed a little too much for it, 3 bucks less than it's going for on Discogs, which isn't too bad, and besides it's a rarity, with only 300 copies being pressed.  When you say you enjoy something like this it sounds odd, because enjoyment sorta implies happiness and this is not happy or joyful music (is it even music?).  A serial killer enjoys killing.  Dark ambient right.  What it might sound like as your soul travels to hell.  Blue Sabbath Black Cheer and Pig Heart Transplant are very similar sounding, a grinding, gurgling feedback kind of thing, with some blood curdling screaming/growling.  Nothing real complex here, no hooks, no noodling, just  wall of sound but at the same time I have no idea how they're making the sounds that they do.  PHT has the guitarist of Iron Long doing something a little different here.  Ten minutes of your time to listen to these two tracks, which may intrigue or seem like an eternity, I'll leave that up to you... Pig Heart Transplant - Crawling Through Hell Blue Sabbath Black Cheer - Untitled EDIT:  You can get this at Discogs (for about 4 bucks at the moment)...

No comments:

Post a Comment