[gallery ids="8733,8732" type="rectangular"]
Time for a real kick in the ass. Back in about July of last year, I had the great honor of reviewing some killer shit in the form of the band, Zebras (if you missed that, get your ass back there and give them a spin). Well Vincent, who plays in Zebras (and also Those Poor Bastards, a band I hope to feature here at some point), sent me a message the other day and told me that he had been involved in an industrial type band about 10 years ago and that they were starting to do some shit again. They go by the name The Smunn, aka Logan 5 (or is it Logan 5 aka The Smunn). Here's what he had to say, "The First album was released on vinyl in 2001 but most of the original copies were destroyed. Since we are starting to do shows again this is available on vinyl again. Only 200 available and selling it for only $7.00. The other download is for the other two EPs and a couple demos. Tracks 1, 2, 3, 10, 11 are from the 2002 EP "Only To Reptiles". Tracks 4-9 are from the 2004 EP "As We Become The Smunn". This was the last thing recorded before the project was abandoned. Tracks 12 & 13 are from the first demo tape "Germ Warfare" (2000) and Track 14 is a 1999 version of a song that was re-recorded for the self titled LP. All of this stuff was recorded on an 8-track cassette recorder and went straight from the tape to the vinyl / cds." They have a Bandcamp where you can listen to all their recorded stuff and pick up that LP, for, as Vincent said, a measly $7. There's also a Facebook page where you can follow current events and chat with the band...I have been using that function. In fact I was telling Vincent, that I had been listening to over 4 decades of Industrial music, in it's many forms/sub-genres, over the past two weeks worth of nights and weekends (my old lady works nights and weekends). I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I have impeccable taste and I would stack these guys up against any of those bands, putting them smack dab into those four decades. They have a variety of sounds and while they are definitely industrial in general, they could also find themselves in several of the sub-genres. There's that harsh angry kind of stuff you might find on SPK's "Auto Da Fe" and then there's that danceable almost techno kind of thing. In my explorations, that danceable stuff is called EBM or Electronic Body Music. Regardless of what they're doing, it's done extremely well...these guys are no apprentices, they're masters... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFnFEK7HP8k&w=790&h=593]
No comments:
Post a Comment