My third book review up for ya, the first punk rock memories, the second being a European hardcore biography and this time it's a New York hardcore (plus) collection of recollections and poems. My buddy Freddy over at Wardance Records put this thing out and was kind enough to send me a copy. I have to thank him first and foremost, because this was one hell of an enjoyable read. Written by Lewis Dimmick of Our Gang (check out their discography and bio at Stormy's epic Blogged and Quartered site) and most recently of My Rifle (check out my epic [hahaha] review of their Self Titled 7"). I really like this guy Lewis, just based on his music and most definitely on his book. Even though I haven't actually met him, I can really relate to his insights and figure his friends must really value their friendship. He's just a year or two younger than me, so we're about the same age, grew up in the same era, enjoy writing (he's the real deal of course, I'm just dabbling) and have a love for music that inspired us to play music. It's interesting, that we were on different coasts but the scenes weren't so different. The way he puts it, "The audience is beside themselves; they are in a state of rapture; they, in their individual awkwardness, attempt with their bodies to illustrate the music; their movements celebrate the self; they dance like asylum inmates; they improvise a response." A guy who's been there can intimately identify with that. You can tell he was there experiencing these moments with all of his senses, taking it in not just physically but spiritually. It came to be a part of what defined him, who he hung out with and his responses to life. On a side note, I like too that he was a long hair in a scene dominated by bald heads. He wasn't just observing, collecting data, but a part of what was going on, taking it all in. Talking about Roger Miret of Agnostic Front, "I was intrigued by his street look, his street existence. I never thought I would inhabit a world where tattoos are as common as white underwear. Today even pop stars look like punk rockers, but punk rockers that have undergone the full spa treatment." The book is a quick read, which left me wanting more. I'm just a junkie when it comes to something like this, I can't get enough...so I read it again, this time paying a little more attention to the details. Once I started reading it, there was no way I was going to put it down, leafing through the pages was as easy as eating ice cream on a hot summer day. And then you end up sitting back and reflecting on your own similar experiences. GREAT fucking book. The artwork for the cover, is pretty snappy and punctuates the whole vibe. This thing is available now for pre-order and will start shipping out on April 22nd. You can get it at Wardance Records. Thanx Freddy and Lewis for a fantastic read.
Monday, April 8, 2013
Lewis Dimmick - This Music: Pieces On Heavy Metal Punk Rock & Hardcore Punk book
My third book review up for ya, the first punk rock memories, the second being a European hardcore biography and this time it's a New York hardcore (plus) collection of recollections and poems. My buddy Freddy over at Wardance Records put this thing out and was kind enough to send me a copy. I have to thank him first and foremost, because this was one hell of an enjoyable read. Written by Lewis Dimmick of Our Gang (check out their discography and bio at Stormy's epic Blogged and Quartered site) and most recently of My Rifle (check out my epic [hahaha] review of their Self Titled 7"). I really like this guy Lewis, just based on his music and most definitely on his book. Even though I haven't actually met him, I can really relate to his insights and figure his friends must really value their friendship. He's just a year or two younger than me, so we're about the same age, grew up in the same era, enjoy writing (he's the real deal of course, I'm just dabbling) and have a love for music that inspired us to play music. It's interesting, that we were on different coasts but the scenes weren't so different. The way he puts it, "The audience is beside themselves; they are in a state of rapture; they, in their individual awkwardness, attempt with their bodies to illustrate the music; their movements celebrate the self; they dance like asylum inmates; they improvise a response." A guy who's been there can intimately identify with that. You can tell he was there experiencing these moments with all of his senses, taking it in not just physically but spiritually. It came to be a part of what defined him, who he hung out with and his responses to life. On a side note, I like too that he was a long hair in a scene dominated by bald heads. He wasn't just observing, collecting data, but a part of what was going on, taking it all in. Talking about Roger Miret of Agnostic Front, "I was intrigued by his street look, his street existence. I never thought I would inhabit a world where tattoos are as common as white underwear. Today even pop stars look like punk rockers, but punk rockers that have undergone the full spa treatment." The book is a quick read, which left me wanting more. I'm just a junkie when it comes to something like this, I can't get enough...so I read it again, this time paying a little more attention to the details. Once I started reading it, there was no way I was going to put it down, leafing through the pages was as easy as eating ice cream on a hot summer day. And then you end up sitting back and reflecting on your own similar experiences. GREAT fucking book. The artwork for the cover, is pretty snappy and punctuates the whole vibe. This thing is available now for pre-order and will start shipping out on April 22nd. You can get it at Wardance Records. Thanx Freddy and Lewis for a fantastic read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment