Tuesday, June 11, 2013

"Songs: Molina" - A Benefit Compilation for Jason Molina's Survivors

S-MRyan over at Sick Room Records (I've posted several of their releases) about a benefit they were having for the survivors of a musician named Jason Molina. To be honest with you, I'd never heard of the guy, so I did some looking around at various places, including Wikipedia. Very interesting life and a sad death. He was a very prolific musician (he had that singer/songwriter, Neil Young kinda vibe) who worked with a lot of other musicians and his creativity will sorely be missed. I guess it's not important how a person dies, but how they lived. On the other hand reading that his death was alcohol related (in other places it said "natural causes") touched home for me. Having been near death myself from alcohol abuse and suffering health problems as a result, not to mention the near wet brain that I can be at times, I can relate. Like I said though it's best to focus on life and Jason was a creator not a destroyer. Anyway, along with sadness and grief (but hopefully happy memories too), the family has been left with some bills. So this guy, Steve has done something out of this world cool and put together a benefit compilation. "After months of submissions, remixes, last-minute changes, and hundreds of emails, I have compiled something that speaks to Jason's memory, and relates feelings about his death from bands and artists across the globe." You can go to Bandcamp and give the compilation a listen and then for a small donation pick up a digital copy (39 tunes). There's a Facebook page where you can read more about it. My Old Kentucky Blog has sort of an insiders view of the benefit and Jason Molina. At least give it a listen... http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/album=2907201675/size=venti/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=0687f5/

One of his bigger tunes... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35EleH-deIM&w=420&h=315]

No comments:

Post a Comment