
I don't know what I like more, reading books or listening to music. I was listening to music in utero but I come from a long line of book worms. Books like "Life Won't Wait" make me lean towards reading (at least for the duration). ;-) Mr. Essington picked up where he left off with
Last One To Die, really this could be Last One To Die Part 2, or he could have gotten creative like they do with sequels in movie titles and called it Last One To Die With A Vengeance. The difference here though is that this is not a some lame sequel, instead it's just as freshly captivating as the first installment, no let down. Now I need to stop myself because I have some problems reviewing this book. First, I have been friends with Mike for several years now, followed his blog early on and most importantly I have a ton of respect for him as a human being (with so many assholes in this world, he gives us hope). On top of that, he bestowed upon this humble blogger a great honor by naming me in his acknowledgments, that as cool as being thanked on a record. The last problem I run into, is the risk of repeating what I said in my previous reviews of his books (and I already have). To put those worries to rest, I'll be blunt, if you dig outlaw autobiographies by someone besides a pretentious dickhead, something REAL, then you will dig this. Mike was/is an LA county Punk Rocker all the way, but if you were born anywhere in the US in the 60s, you can relate. Shit, just about anybody could relate to the plain and simple emotion of a life like his. This is exactly what drew me to Mike's writing in the first place, no bullshit. He's shown that he can write fiction too, as he did with his short story in
Under a Broken Street Lamp, and I just don't know which I like better. Fortunately I don't have to pick his fiction or his non-fiction, it's an "and" thing, a simple equation, he writes 'em, I read 'em. You can get a sample of this latest book, to see for yourself,
HERE. He's got a
Facebook for the book and if you want to do the press thing you can go to his
Createspace. You can also get the book there or you can get the kindle of it at
Amazon. 30+ years later Michael is still going to gigs, so if you're in LA and you want to meet Mr. Essington, got to a Punk club or better yet go to any Symbol Six show and he's bound to be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment