
Relentless! A word that's never come to mind in describing myself. More like "surviving", kinda like the guy facing the relentless onslaught. When you think about a struggle though, a life long kind, most of what we face is self inflicted. Not victims of some kind diabolical external force, but just day in day out trying to get the peanut butter off the roof of your mouth. Nothing so dramatic as a comic book, a good vs. evil battle, I am not the Wolverine, the battle ground exists in my head. Shit, your mind is your best friend (God I abused you old pal) and yet it's your worst enemy. Really this GIF is what it looks like inside old Mustard's noggin. Uh oh, I'm far too brain damaged to make any kind of attempt at getting deep...but I enjoy trying. ;-)

I've mentioned this before, and I've also mentioned before that sometimes things are worth mentioning more than once (Maximum Rock N Roll's review of my band Garden Weasel's demo said, and I quote, "Nothing you haven't heard a million times before"), I absolutely and irrevocably can't stand Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Freebird". Too many years in too many bars with idiots playing those songs over and over again. I am close to throwing "Gimme Three Steps", "Call Me The Breeze", and "Saturday Night Special" into that lot, so that doesn't leave much left as far as LS. With that being said, I never did explore any of LS's other stuff. A few years ago, I started hearing tunes of their's that I really liked...a few, to be exact. Stumbled across a place called
The Witchwood Records and found two of said songs, from a live set they did on KBFH Show Cardiff, Wales, UK 1975-11-06. For your listening pleasure...
The Needle & The Spoon
Simple Man
There was one more of their tunes I wanted to feature here but, after searching though about 30 bootlegs I could not find them doing it live. Had to settle for the demo version...
Junkie

Got this bootleg a while back, it's on
Discogs, and I've seen them on black vinyl, but mine is on clear, #247/300. Not sure why I got it, I have so many Sabbath records, guess I just wanted to have a bootleg. And on top of that I just love Peel Session recordings, high quality, live in studio. About the only recording I've found that I didn't like was SPK's, believe it or not. And the cover, I just love the image they chose, it is so Black Sabbath. The back cover is sweet too, with the vintage photo, not sure if it's from 1970, when most of these tunes were recorded. And...and...and, it's made in Finland, maybe my only record from that under-represented Viking country. There's a million BS live recordings out there, so maybe this will interest no one. The first four tunes are the Peel Session ones, "Walpurgis" is "War Pigs" with different lyrics, all very cool, live and heavy. "The Rebel" is from a 1969 demo, very PRE-Sabbath (extra emphasis on the "PRE").
Lost In Sabbath had his/her take on the Peel Session (aka Radio 1) and you could download it from
Frequency LSD, where you can find those alternative lyrics to Walpurgis (War Pigs). I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing (actually have it hanging on my wall)...
Black Sabbath
Walpurgis
Fairies Wear Boots
Behind The Wall Of Sleep
The Rebel
Was curious about this demo track so did a little more researching and came across the Big Takeover, where you can find a lengthy treatment on early Black Sabbath (Earth) demos and early recordings. Again at the Witchwood Records blog, I found the recordings that guy is talking about on the Early One Morning bootleg. Here's those other Earth tracks that go with "The Rebel"...
Unknown Demo
Early One Morning
When I Came Down (this is called the "full version" but it's actually just a loop of a segment)
No comments:
Post a Comment