Monday, December 2, 2013

Lord Ellis - S/T

Sometimes things don't look too fantastic, so when something comes along that'll make you smile, it's a good thing, right? Does this GIF represent an ironic moment?  When I'd go to baseball games as a kid, I don't know what entertained me more, the beach balls bouncing through the crowd, hoping it would come my way, or the ushers in a mad scramble, keystone cops-like, to grab the ball. They were always so proud of themselves when they got it, but what was the point, why not just let the ball entertain, if the ushers didn't get it, it would end up on the field anyway, thus giving the ball boy/girl another invaluable task, for that highly refined and dubious skill set. Been sitting on this one for far too long, it's time to enlighten. Lord Ellis has been here at MR before but it was way back when, and they were calling themselves El Yeti. A little over a year later and you would be abso-fucking-lutely correct if you assumed like I did, that these studs would make good use of their time and hone their sound into razor sharpness. More songs, more gigs, more time to blow the minds of anyone lucky enough to hear them. I stand 100% behind what I said before about these guys, "Not sure how to describe it. Could go the easy route and call it some kind of stoner/doom/sludge conglomeration, but that’s too easy. With the keyboards and that heavy as fuck sound, you might call them a modern day Deep Purple. Deep is a good one word description. Metal in the most general sense, but not the sparkly shiny variety. With the drummer and the bass player of the Hitch, any reference to that band would be warranted, especially the bottom end. Regardless of how you hear them, you know that this isn’t some bullshit pretend band, this is the real deal and represents Humboldt County, Kali at it’s finest." I've known a couple of these guys for 25+ years, played music with them, am in awe of their talent, so you might say I'm a little bit biased. Well, hell fuckin yes I am, but that doesn't mean shit, you'd have to be an asshole not to objectively worship the sounds these guys are putting out. There is no weak link here, these four characters are the best of the best at what they do and they shine bright.  You can hear a little bit of each one of the bands these guys have played in, in the mix.  Humboldt heavy hitters.  I've always sworn that there is something in the water in Humboldt County that churns out all these killer bands (regardless of genre). Lord Ellis drinks a tall glass of that water daily. I can not say anything though that will adequately capture how damn good they are, you just have to listen. So, like most bands these days, they've got a Facebook and they have a Reverbnation. This CD is on the South Spit Records label, an old Humboldt staple, but they haven't really set up a system yet as to how to get this bad boy to you (I got mine from the band cuz I'm cool like that). Your best bet is to hit them up at those sites and see if you can't get one of these guys to let you know how much and whatnot. I had a hell of time picking out a couple of tunes to sample from, there's not a dull moment on this, even with the variety, and, in fact, this is hands down album of the year 2013 for me. I did manage to pick out a couple that will give you a quick feel though and I feel like they have very different sounds here...

[embed height="520" width="640"]https://www.reverbnation.com/Lordellis?wordpress=1[/embed]

The video below and others like it are courtesy of Sean Pitney (a name that sounds familiar but not sure if he was in Humboldt when I was).

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My-O4x1GIzA]

They have T-Shirts too (even ones that fit my fat ass)! Lord Ellis 22

No comments:

Post a Comment