Friday, December 13, 2013

Unter Den Linden - The Lost Tapes

UDL-TLTMy buddy Bjorn did me a solid (not the first time either), because he knows I really dig his old band Unter Den Linden, and set me up with their "Lost Tapes". We've done UDL before HERE, along with his current band Pilleemandjoonks. PDJ, Who are very much worth mentioning, as I put it previously, "some pretty modern almost poppy stuff that is really soulful and I’m a sucker for anything that’s got a saxophone in it." Here's a couple of the most recent tunes from them... "Krigaren" [audio mp3="http://mustard-relics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Krigaren-Pilleemandjoonks.mp3"][/audio] "Lynch, David" [audio mp3="http://mustard-relics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Lynch-David-Pilleemandjoonks.mp3"][/audio] I really like Bjorn's voice in both PDJ an UDL.  If you haven't heard of Unter Den Linden and you refuse to go to that previous post, as Peter at KBD put it in his posting of their Motstand i lader 7", "One of the best swedish HC bands ever. Way underrated or maybe just forgotten because they refused to wear the punk “uniform”?" This time around we have a nice selection of live stuff from the almost 5 years the original band was around, there's two hardcore styled tunes (tracks 4 and 6), the rest are mostly post-punk-ish, Joy Division-esque (a band I have read them compared to) type stuff.  But this is not Joy Division, they were contemporaries, and there was this sound back in the early 80s that bands are still trying to duplicate.  I asked Bjorn to give me a lowdown on the recordings... * Att döda ett barn (to kill a child) From May 24 1980 ,Malmö our 7th show * Vända inåt ( Introvert) same as above * Arabenrein ver 1 and Crim Passionell From Nov. 26 1982 Tvärreds Bygdegård (far out in the bush). These songs are unique. We played them only once except for that we made a new arr. of arabenrein for our second album (Utom våra liv; Except for our Lives) *Acceleration + The radiator from Apr 8 Club Zig-zag; Lund * Starfighters + Kicks from March 2 1985 K.O.B Berlin Germany. one of our last shows. We played only 5 or 6 after this one. Then we broke up. udl_BenPix

The first two tunes are these long jams, that do not bore, and for not being around for a long time at that point, the band is really together, these guys aren't weak on their instruments.  I'm not usually a long song guy, but I think these two are my favorite on the whole tape.  All the songs rip though on here and, as I said, if you're more of a hardcore type guy, check out tracks 4 and 6.  All in all a very enjoyable tape...

Kickar Starfighters Radiatorn Acceleration (Lund) Crim Passionell Arabenrein ver 1 Vända Inåt Att döda ett barn udl

No comments:

Post a Comment