Been so preoccupied with my own release, practically locked up in a room, that I've neglected those occasional email from bands, requesting that I give their shit a spin. Listening to this band Movment, I was left kicking myself that I didn't give them a listen as soon as they hit me up and missed the release day for the CD, November 17th. Actually, it was Jack of the Distort the Scene label that served me up this sweet dish and when I wrote back I told him, "Movment take me back in their post-punk-ness to the 80s, ala Joy Division or maybe even Sonic Youth, without being some lame band trying to copy that vibe. A modern band that comes to mind is the Thermals (most specifically the tune "Never Listen To Me")." Coldwave? What a perfect band to break me into doing reviews again. Out of Mullingar, Ireland this is their bio from their WEBSITE, "Following a break of several years, Movment have created a collection of songs that contain all the elements of their previous musical incarnations while still including all that is good about modern rock music. On one level the songs use a simple set of instruments – Drums, Guitars, Bass, Keyboards, Vocals. It also combines all the elements that make contemporary music’s fusion with technology so compelling. Raw, intense, engaging, and real, their alternative rock influenced sound is created with guitars, electronics, hard sounding rhythms and experiments with sound.
Lineup:
Martin Kelly – Vocals, Drums
Kevin Kelly – Guitars, Bass, Keyboards
Writing and recording music is much more involved now for artists. Movment use technology & instruments to produce their sound. Where this leads going forward, time will tell." The very first thing that struck me was the vocals. I don't know if it's his skill as a vocalist or the effects on the vocals...it's probably both, sort of a dreamy, murky quality, he pleads the listener. The music itself is fairly minimal, no freaky shit or unnecessary noodling, these guys focus their melodies and rhythms on being ultra catchy. Catchy in this sort of dark or brooding way, it's not depressing, but it's definitely not rainbows and unicorns. This is like the soundtrack to one of Shakespeare's tragedies. I like that it's just two guys too, three of them would be too much talent...hahaha. Seriously though, these guys tear up their instruments and I dig that there's "technology" in the mix, shit it's hard to believe it's just two minds at work here. The hit is the tune "Driven" I'm assuming, as that's the single, but all these songs are hits, there isn't a dud from beginning to end. As I said, this thing is released by Distort The Scene, so start there if you want to take my word for it that these guys definitely know what the fuck they're doing, but "digital copies of the album are in most online digital stores including iTunes, CD Baby, 7 Digital, and Amazon Music." Get the jump on it too my fellow Americans, because this isn't due to be released until 2015 in Europe....
You can listen to all the tunes at Soundcloud or Bandcamp...
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3936520520 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small] ..and because these guys mean business and really have their shit together, they have a killer vid for the tune "Driven"...
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02nJCNLJStg&w=420&h=315]
No comments:
Post a Comment