Thursday, January 15, 2015

Om - Live @ Amoeba

Om - Live at AmoebaOnly just discovered the almighty Om via the enlightening Gorish blog (a strange place with a fixation on Alestair Crowley and right wing politics, but a treasure trove of killer, mostly electronic music). Om was originally the two guys forming the bottom end of Sleep, a sometimes overrated but never-the-less legendary stoner, doom, sludge band. Om is more of an ambient drone type of thing, with super heavy, sometimes distortioned out bass and this drumming that would make Bill Ward proud.  The vocals are a monotoned dreamy trip unto themselves.  The original drummer, who I somewhat favor, is gone, the new one is not quite so laid back and they have added a third guy who is sort of a jack of all trades.  The highlight of the band is their first LP, 2005's Variations on a Theme, the one Gorish provided.  I have been listening to it non-stop since it fell into my lap and have since purchased my own vinyl repress. When I was searching for the link on Youtube to turn a buddy of mine onto, I stumbled across this short live set (which led me to 4 hours of searching out more live sessions, ripping and editing them into mp3s and beefing 'em up with Audacity...typical music obsession-ist that I am). Anyway trip out on that (with the original drummer) but do yourself a favor and play through a stereo or headphones to get the full effect... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2HBFh3JlTs] ...just in case that vid gets deleted as they often do, here's the .flv file... Om Live At Amoeba ...and because I highly recommend listening to this on something decent, an excellent live recording, here's the mp3s separated and boosted a bit... Rays Of The Sun/To The Shrinebuilder At Giza ...and because, as I said I am a music obsesssion-ist, just for the hell of it, from another set with Chris Hakius on drums... Om - Flight of the Eagle I (live @ Neumos, Seattle 02-03-07)

No comments:

Post a Comment