Sunday, December 16, 2007

Grimace - Demo

G1 grimace2You know hands down Grimace is my favorite metal band, I'm not just talking, in Humboldt, I mean fucking ever.  Not just because I knew, played with, partied with and respected them as musicians but they really knew how to put on a show.  They practiced at the Manilla chicken coups (in the master suite) where we practiced and I used to love to just sit in on their jams.  Not wanna be tough guys like so many metal bands singing about macho satanic bullshit.  Cool guys and each one different from the next.  Marten seemed like he was the one making things happen, a ripping guitar player and was the glue that kept the band going.  Nick was pretty out there, had the most extensive self administered tattoo collection I had ever seen and was tripped out when it came to his solos.  Andy was a thumpin' good bass player, I think he was a music student, and could play lots of instruments.  Chuck was the singer and all you have to do is listen to the band or One Man Running to hear how much soul and emotion was in voice.  Rob was your typical stoner hesher,  a pretty solid drummer, and a hell of nice guy.  This is the only demo I have of theirs so I don't know if there are anymore.  Good stuff, but I am waiting on Gage to get a hold of Marten to see if he'll do a better write up of the band and give me permission to post their CD on Bongload Records, which is out of this world good and way before their time.  This is another one of those bands that could have made it big on the scene outside of Humboldt County.  Enjoy a song or two.

Donor

Raised By Hippies

Incomplete Pete

To The Death

The Dentist

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2Ar-H2tdg&w=560&h=315]

No comments:

Post a Comment