Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Grimace - Quagmire CD

Grimace Well I wanted to post this one before Marten changed his mind about letting me put it up.  I got my copy before it officially came out so I have a homemade cover (above).  I couldn't find much out there about the band or the now famous label, Bongload Records (thanx to Beck, who I met around this time when Garden Weasel played with Grimace and Muzza Chunka in Garberville).  I did find a used copy for sale by some guy for $4 and a little bit about Marten.  It said that he was now (15 years ago) in the band Crutch on the same label.  Well this release was a lot different from the DEMO, which was good, but the cd takes the band to a whole other level, especially in terms of the drumming.  Rob was more of a standard metal drummer while Darin had his own jazzy rockin kind of style, that fit well with the rest of the band and their unorthodoxy.  The rest of the band had played together for a bit longer and were tight as fuck.  You know though, this CD is one of my favorites but it doesn't compare to seeing them live.  We (WD40, Garden Weasel, Grout) played with them a hundred times and I never got sick of that.  They were always heavy and seemed super tight live, and had a really rockin energy.  Got any live stuff I can post Marten?  The only show or party I remember specifically was the show we played with them and Muzza Chunka down in Garberville.  Not much of a turnout, which meant people missed a really good show.  Great guys to hang out with either individually or together.  Five very different guys that just clicked.  My two faves are Dirty Old Man and They Came To Me (which I think was about people like me, temporary Humboldt residents).  Anyway, give it a listen and maybe you'll like a song or two...

Weaned on a Pickle

Frankenhippie

Pete Townsend Syndrome

Dirty Old Man

They Came To Me

Rubberneck

Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Christian Scientist

Distilled Evil

ATACRA

Hand of Fumes

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPzPsPykwZU&w=560&h=315]

No comments:

Post a Comment