This is one of those posts that I got because of magazines like Flipside or Maximum Rock & Roll. I wasn't a die hard fan of those zines getting every issue they put out but would pick them up every once in a while. I liked reading the music reviews, which I didn't always agree with, but they did motivate me to action. I remember we sent in a Garden Weasel demo and the reviewer said something along the lines of "nothing you haven't heard a million times before". Even though it may have been true, it certainly wasn't how I felt. We couldn't help but be influenced by what we heard and it was reflected in our original music. I ended up writing a song about it called, I think appropriately, Heard A Million Times Before. Some of the lines I remember said "it's all been said before, why say it once more" or " it doesn't matter why, say it twice then die". I guess what I was saying was that some things need to be said over and over again, and really can't be said too much. I did write a song about the dangers of cars to skateboarders, which I think is a somewhat original song subject.
Anyway I read a review on this tape so I wrote to the band and got one. This Classified Protest demo was recorded in 1984 and I think I got it around that time. I don't know if you would call it punk or oi! but I was into that English sound at the time. I thought and still think this is pretty good stuff. I think I wrote to one of these guys for a little while and thought they were very cool. On the flip side of the tape they had another band's rehearsal that I will have to post some time. Give this stuff a listen and maybe you'll like a song or two. My favorite song is Thatchers Britain.
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDiWYWShFlE]
No comments:
Post a Comment