Thursday, March 20, 2008

Egyptian Lover

You guys didn't think I was going to give you a killer band like Doom and then not make you read a story and listen to some pretty silly music did you?  If you are a die hard hardcore fan you should skip this post unless you just want to do a little bit of reading.

wayne (my son's favorite soccer player Wayne Rooney)  From the ages of five to twelve I played AYSO soccer at Fairfax High School in LA.  That's where at least a few of the Chili Peppers went to school, at about that time.  It was there that I first saw Black Flag spray painted on a wall in about 79'.  I took the bus starting when I was ten, by myself, from 6th and Shatto, all the way down Wilshire, over to Beverley down to Fairfax, and walked up from there.  I wouldn't let my eleven year old take that bus ride by himself these days.  On that walk one time I got caught trying to steal a nudie magazine from a stand.  The kids I played with were mixed up into groups, the Jewish kids from that neighborhood, the rich kids from Hancock Park and kids like me from the surrounding ghettos.  It was cool, kids from so many races and backrounds playing together.  One kid from a neighborhood like mine that was also in AYSO soccer was Senon Williams.  Over the years we got to know each other pretty well and he was a good friend.  When I graduated from 6th grade we decided to move to the San Fernando Valley, Burbank, because my next school would be Virgil Junior High.  This school was not the best to go to for many reasons and I think got burned in the LA riots.  After that I would have gone to Belmont High, not the best school either for so many reasons.  I lost contact with all those kids that I had played soccer with.  Six years later I graduated from Burbank High and got accepted to Syracuse University in New York and Humboldt State in Cali.  I couldn't afford to go to Syracuse, so Humboldt it was, which was fine by me because it was as far as you could get from the LA area and still be in the state.  On the first day I was up at HSU I met a guy named Gage, we are still good friends to this day.  He looked just like a member of the Ramones, who I really dug on, so we hit it off pretty quickly.  He was staying in Redwood dorm while I was staying in Sunset which are right next to each other.  We got up there and I was tripping out on the newness of the whole experience and this giant black guy with dreads rolls up to me and says, "what's up Justin" (or something like that).  I was really tripping at this point because I was kind of skinhead looking and this guy was like 6'6".  As it turned out this was my old childhood friend Senon Williams.  My first real experience with the small world phenomenon.  We caught up and actually hung out quite a bit for the years I was up there.  He had a roommate from Berkeley named Jeremy Valverde who I ended up hangin out a bunch with two.  Next to them was this guy Stephen and some other guy.  Stephen taught me how to roll my own cigarettes (joints), how to blow smoke rings and got me into huffing nitrous oxide.  Brain cells were dying fast there.  Stephen was killed by a logging truck on his way back to school the next year.  Anyway Jeremy turned me onto some of the best blues I have ever heard, which I will have to post some day when I can find the tape.  One thing we had in common was Egyptian Lover.  We used to crank that shit from their dorm room all the time.  I used to listen to that guy with the Mexican kids in my old neighborhood.  Historic stuff if you actually give it a listen even though it sounds pretty silly to my ears now.  It was disco's transission into techno rap. Senon and Zac Here's a pic I found of Senon with a guy named Zac, also from HSU, who played in a band I've already posted, Dieselhed.  Senon has played in a ton of bands but I guess has been in the Radar Bros. for some time.  Here's a tune by them, Radar Bros-On Nautilus .  I found some info about them here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_Bros and a website for them here, http://www.radarbros.com/index.html .  Anyway check out Egyptian Lover and tell me what you think.  Haha. EDIT: Links deleted for fear of copyright police...go give your money to iTunes or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment