When this record came out the straightedge scene was getting pretty out of hand. It had become trendy to be straightedge and a lot of bands and cities were taking it to fascist extremes. During this time I was a beer guzzling, drug using fool but that didn't mean I didn't respect what straightedge was originally about. Now that I'm clean (do cigarettes and coffee count?) I could care less if you're clean, straight or whatever, I just know I was a slave and wanted to be dead. Grudge was a response to what was going on. They were idiotic in a way but so was the scene they were responding to. I love the use of satire when approaching certain issues and these guys really had that going on. That was a pretty popular way of talking about issues in the punk scene, kind of made famous by the Dead Kennedys. What takes Grudge another step forward is that they play some pretty sick hardcore. The first song Drinking's Great is probably my favorite, but give these a listen and see what you think...
EDIT: Links deleted for fear of copyright police...go give your money to iTunes or something...Friday, April 11, 2008
Grudge - Project-Ex 7"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment