Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Liberté? / A State Of Mind ‎– Don't Vote... Subvert! 7" flexi

punk This picture is not from this release and they would probably object to it (sorry), but when I did a search for "punk clip art" this was one of the images that came up.  It made me smile for a number of reasons, can you think of any?  Anyway I can't remember if I got this flexi from Rene of the Iconoclast or Ron of Naturecore but it was a freebie.  Apparently Eva-Tone screwed these guys and censored this piece of plastic.

On a side note I called Eva-Tone not too long ago to see about doing a flexi and they said no one does them anymore.  They have the equipment but they can't get the materials.  Is that true?  Wouldn't it be cool to start putting out flexis again.  I know nobody would buy them but the record nerds would collect em.

asom1EDIT: Decided to revisit this post, if for nothing else but to get the music as all my music files were deleted off my hard drive.  This post has some of the best comments, by some of the best minds that I also consider friends, but like so many of my earlier posts it is painfully bland.  So on top of cleaning out the dead links it contained I'm adding (someone else's) scans.  When the makers of this flexi did this thing they thought the images were important enough to include rather than just the naked flexi, so here they are.  On a side note, I am now one release short of having all the Mind Matter releases, 9 of them.

 

asom2This is one of those censored copies, but it's pretty cool anyway.  It was put out by Mind Matter Records, a label that I will be posting more of in the future.  These guys were from San Francisco and were about as DIY as you could.  From records to tofu ice cream they did it all.  I'm bummed I never got the chance to meet them.  This stuff is your standard peace punk sound but each song is different from the next.  Kind of a later American Crass thing going on.  The 7'' I have by A State Of Mind is better so I will be posting that in the not too distant future.  This was kind of a protest against voting and is still relevant today (as it always will be).  The censored parts come in the form of beeping out the word "fuck" and on Don't Vote Part 2 there was supposed to be a speech along with it that said, asom3"This year millions of people will once again go to the polls in the hopes of winning the right man for the title of president.  Every election year is the same, the promises of peace, a better economy, and of course the continuation of our freedom by participating in the electoral process.  We're led to believe that voting is our chance to have our say, that it's our freedom in action.  But as the elections close and the puppet won, the world continues it's path to utter destruction, peace is not obtained, the economy is falsified, and our freedom is totally denied.  Peace and freedom can not be won by the power of one individual who chooses to use that power to oppress us all.  This election year please don't vote...Subvert!" asom4This has always been true and actually I would have taken it further and talked about what big business has to do with the whole process.  Maybe even throw something in about not trusting the masses in their greed and ignorance to make decisions for me.  man I could go on and on... Don’t Vote Simply Stated The Candidates Rap So Fuck Voting Don’t Vote part 2 asom5asom6asom7

No comments:

Post a Comment