Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sins Of The Flesh - Greed

sotf1 sotf2 This is definately not to be confused with the goth band out of England around these days. Funny thing about these guys is that I really know nothing about them except what is wrapped up in this disk.  This was released in 1988 on a Santa Barabara label, StreetRecords, but they were from Sacramento.  I met the bass player, Kevin, up in Humboldt back in about 1990.  Kind of a hippy looking guy but was hardcore/metal to the bone.  A super left wing type of person involved with Earth First and similar groups, but I don't think that defined him.  Really cool to hang out with and I wish I was still in touch with him.  He really dug on Garden Weasel, so when we came out with a 7" I gave him a copy.  In trade he insisted on giving us 4 copies of this record.  Kevin had lots of tats and was working on becoming a tattoo artist himself.  He had already done the grapefruit thing that I guess tattoo artists do and had worked on himself quite a bit.  I figured I had several tattoos so I volunteered to be his first victim.  Every good artist has to start somewhere right and we can't all get work done from someone who is experienced or there would never be any new artist?  So the design I decided on was Chaos written in old english around my ankle with a little cartoon punk holding a bomb I got from Crass' You're Already Dead 7".  Not the most original punk idea but I liked it.  So we decided to get to it.  He did the usual thing and traced the design onto a transfer and then transfered it onto my skin.  He was pretty nervous and a little shaky which made me a little nervous.  I had made up my mind though that if it was a simple design and that if it didn't turn out well, it was not like it was something on my neck.  So he goes to do his first line, shaky handed and ends up doing it really crooked and very heavy handed.  We looked at it and decided that he need to do the transfer again so the crooked line would be covered up by fill on the letter A.  Anarchy baby.  So I think after some discussion and some relaxation, maybe even a joint, we got started again.  He wasn't so shaky this time but it was extremely painful because he was so heavy handed.  Instead of the gun sounding like a Japanese motorcycle like it should it sounded like a Harley that was misfiring.  Damn painful, which made me shake a little but I was determinded to be someones first tattoo and like I said Kevin was cooler than shit.  We got it done in what seemed like forever and it actually didn't turn out too bad.  The cartoon was a little screwy but I was not displeased.  If your out there Kevin, thanx man. A My camera sucks, in case you haven't noticed. The only info I could find on these guys was here, http://www.nokilli.com/inbred/bands/sins-of-the-flesh.htm .  If you like simple crust crossed with death metal then you'll dig this. EDIT: Links deleted for fear of copyright police...go give your money to iTunes or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment