Sunday, December 14, 2008

Iron Maiden - Live+One

Cold Out Doesn't it just look cold out.  10 degrees (-22 celsius) but with the wind blowing it sure feels a lot colder.  Got some chores to do out there in a little while, so I'm trying to soak up a little warmth first.  Kim and I are still slowly moving, taking a couple of truck loads a week and will be living in the new place on the new year.  Very busy fun day yesterday with a truck load out to the new house, our bi-monthly trip to the small city 60 miles away for fancy coffee drinks, Christmas shopping, the cheap cigarette store, chinese buffet, a family visit and finally coming home and enjoying the Friday the 13th parts 1&2 DVD we just got.  Too busy to rip vinyl right now and what I do have ripped isn't screaming at me as needing to be posted so... You know it's not like I don't have enough vinyl of my own to post, but now I'm doing the bt thing and getting into stuff I would have never gotten into before.  Kim and I get about half of our movies shared through torrents, the other half being found in the used, previously viewed and bargin bins.  Now I'm exploring the musical side of the bit torrent thing, in addition to what I find from the blogsearch function and my fellow music bloggers.  I know I really should be buying stuff to add to my actual physical collection but if you knew what some of this stuff was going for these days you would understand my problem with being able to afford it.  I do have some things coming in the mail that I hoped to post and actually just got a BIG box from my old buddy Bob at http://www.deepsixrecords.com/ but expect some of these bit torrent finds as well, because my musical curiosity is bigger than my bank account. IM live1 IM live2 I had made a comment on another blog about the fact that I didn't think Iron Maiden had found a good replacement for Paul Di'Anno in Bruce Dickenson and wanted to explore that concept a little bit.  Basically anyone can do that for themselves by going to, http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en downloading Iron Maiden's S/T or Killers and comparing them to any other Iron Maiden lp out there.  My memory of the band always goes back to listening to Number Of The Beast while going 140 or 150 mph down the road in some guys 280Z or was it a 260, with Kevin Amos and I in the back seat.  Back in 1983 the speed limit on interstate 5 was 55 mph and those cars driving 55 looked like they were stopped.  So Dickenson has made an impression on me and Dickenson has an incredible voice but so does Steve Perry of Journey and that's just not what I'm looking for in a band.  With that said I do have a sweet spot for the album Number Of The Beast.  To put it simply though, (cuz you know that's what I'm all about) I like the rough quality Di'Anno had better.  You pretty much get a summary of the band at my usual source here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_maiden_(band).  I decided to explore Di'Anno a little but more and found the Live + One in a torrent.  At least to my ears, this was the sound I liked from Maiden.  I'm not a NWOBHM expert and only this year found out that it meant, New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.  As far as I can tell the only bands from that genre that I have really dug on in my long past were Motorhead and Venom, so checking out this early Iron Maiden stuff was kind of a pleasure.  Read about Live + One here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live!!_%2Bone and then go ahead and give it a listen here,

 

Sanctuary Phantom Of The Opera Drifter Women In Uniform

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment