Now if Sparklehorse and The Velvet Underground made me want to shoot up opiates again then these guys make me want to do acid again (all these damn temptations around, still doesn't suck to be clean though). Check Wikipedia on the Butthole Surfers to get a much better history than I could ever give you. They've done this stuff for a long time at varying degrees of popularity but I got into them back in about 84 when I got the PCPEP. Speaking of drugs, you should probably avoid most of them but especially PCP. About the time I got into these guys this older stoner guy thought it was pretty funny when he smoked my buddy Gilbert Bautista and I out on some weed that we didn't know was laced with PCP. That night, him and I were causing chaos with our wrist rockets knocking out street lights but after that smoke out we couldn't hit anything and felt like our bodies were covered with spiders. Anyway, these guys have always been a trip and I've been meaning to post them for a while. If you're a fan you should definitely go to Butthole Surfers website, as they have a bitchen little thing going on and some live mp3s they are giving away. I used to have this Flipside video that I got off one of those local access cable stations in LA of these guys that was the shit. The clothes pins and strobe lights stuff from the early 80's if you know what I'm talking about. Actually still working on getting a copy of that again. This single that I have for you is from several years later in 1990 and a little after it came out the tune Hurdy Gurdy Man came out on the Piohgd lp, while Barking Dogs was the bonus track on the CD. Before you listen to it you must listen to this to see where the song came from...
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRsrDLkACTs&w=560&h=315]
...and then there's a handy dandy bitchen live version...
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ea7kL-Q0_A&w=560&h=315]
I've dug that version since I was about 7 and it's so much different from other stuff Donovan did like Mellow Yellow. Already a trippy enough tune BS take it to the next level. In case you were wondering what a hurdy gurdy was go here. Barking Dogs represents BS well too, in some of their stuff with tape loops and samples. Damn Hurdy Gurdy man has been stuck in my head since I ripped this from the single so I better get it off my chest and listen to something else.
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yWZcsgwF8&w=560&h=315]
Barking Dogs
No comments:
Post a Comment