
Wanted to thank all the regulars for the great comments in the last post. As I said there, comments are the food that keeps this place alive. Amazing how such little text (as profoundly inspirational as it was) could make that happen. A friend, who doesn't seem to come around here anymore (where are you Fernando?), once called this place a cafe and I've always dug that. What good is a cafe though if there aren't fellow music lovers to have coffee and shoot the shit with (it's that damn facebook or maybe it's just the content). You can even smoke here, probably one of the few places in the US where you can still smoke indoors. If you are one who comes here and doesn't comment and obviously choose to read all this bullshit (what you want, I'm trying to get a medal for humility), COMMENT! If you want to share a ride, help me out with some gas. "Ass, grass, gas. Nobody rides for free."
For those of you, like myself, who are easily amused,
Spongebob Bowling. Ha, ha, another reason to be someplace else besides here.
Picked up some CDs at the Goodwill, in the big town, and for a buck forty nine each (perfect for my hobo pocketbook) I felt like I scored. A couple of later Butthole Surfers later LPs (that song Pepper is cool, they deserved to make some money after all the craziness they've shared over the years), a Vaselines anthology (80's college indie-rock at it's finest), an X double CD anthology thing with all kinds of early demo and live stuff and Tom Waits' Rain Dogs. It seemed like everybody and his brother dug him in the 90's. With his scene with Iggy Pop in
Coffee and Cigarettes, it is a
must watch flick. My favorite tune from Rain Dogs is,
Tom Waits - Clap Hands

Not sure what everyone else does in front of the computer, maybe you're the dick in hand type (a very noble past time). For me it's all about having 5 or 6 tabs, a couple of folders and maybe an application or two open, multitasking, but always with some music playing through my stock, built into the monitor speakers (it'd be wise to upgrade I think). When I play records even it is through the computer, which displaces that analog experience somewhat (you still get the snap, crackle, pop), but I don't have an extra turntable to hook up to my stereo. I wish I was sophisticated enough to discern the difference but my ears are damaged and I never had much of and ear for that anyway. Along those lines, got a bunch of cool Humboldt 80's demo type stuff from Little Jimmie the other day, so expect that along with a Crutch 7" to show up in a post here soon. Something I've been spinning (and hard-driving) a lot of lately, is
Melt Banana. I'm no expert on how a band is classified into genres or even the names of all of them, but everyone seems to call them noise rock. In my over-simplification of things, I just call them hardcore. Sort of connected to Humboldt in a way, by that out of this world live I posted a while back,
Live at the Vista 1998. If you don't believe me, check out a sample,
Melt Banana - Circle Jerk, or this
Dead Kennedys cover (that my burned out brain will not let me remember the title of). I've also posted their,
split with the Locust. I've always been amazed by the guitar work of Agata. With his mastery of effects and stretching what you can get a guitar to do, it's sometimes hard to believe there isn't a synthesizer in there somewhere. Anyway...

This one, aside from the music just being over the fucking top, as everything they do, I dig for the label it's on,
Slap-a-Ham Records. I have a lot of the stuff from that label but I wouldn't mind having everything they ever put out. This one is an early one for MB, 1995, but from the beginning it was obvious they weren't bullshitting around. I know from experience that if you're going to like anything by this band, you are going to have to be down with Yasuko's voice. If you can't groove to her then this post is useless. On this one give the first tune a spin but let it go about 40 seconds, past the intro, for it to get rolling.
Wedge
Seesaw Semiology
Cough Coughed Coughing
Q For Quinine
Bird Like Monkey Part 2 (calling on the Cliff)
Least Clipper
Baby Buggy Spitted
Drill the Dentist

Once again, aside from the incredible, albeit short list of tunes, on this one, I like that it's a 6". Not a whole lot of music fits onto a 6" 45, but you should see their 5" splits with Xerobot and Fatomas. This one's 7 years newer and as time goes on you get the feeling they get more refined and experimental (if that combination is possible).
Get the Head Back
About
Neck on B1
A while back I got a live session from these guys on the net (can't remember which site, sorry) and in my never ending effort to overdo things, I thought I'd present that as well. I broke it up into tracks or groups of tracks the best I could, without taking anything away, so I could post direct links, for your listening pleasure. I'm too lazy and my memory's too jacked up to remember song titles so... If I'm not mistaken it's Dave Witte, of Discordance Axis (et. al.) on drums. You MUST listen to the first track, and be amazed.
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-01
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-02
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-03
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-04
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-05
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-06
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-07
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-08
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-09
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-10
Melt Banana - Brighton 30-10-2003-11
No comments:
Post a Comment