Thursday, October 6, 2011

L7 - Keep Rocking EP (John Peel Sessions 1989)

Anybody else watch Coraje, El Perro Cobarde (Courage, The Cowardly Dog)? Like Mustard Relics, set in NoWhere, Kansas.  Always been a cartoon fan, of course going back to the days when it was all about Looney Tunes and Hannah Barberra.  It wasn't so long ago that I was watching them with my son...it was all about Pokemon at that point.  That cartoon either lost something in the translation or was stupid in Japanese too.  With grandkids now, I'm still watching cartoons, I would anyway, but probably of the more adult variety as opposed to Spongebob Squarepants and Dora the Explorer.  One the adult variety that I have on DVD, which is highly recommended, Rob Zombie's The Haunted World of El Superbeasto. If your down to give it a whirl I hunted down the file for it here.  My buddy Davrick has been in the animation world for years and years, and I've always been a fan of his work and really of him as a person too.  His latest project as animatic editor on the TV version of the all around killer Kung Fu Panda.  Be sure and watch that. Had this one ripped for a while because I really wanted to share it's bad-ass-ness, but it got lost in the shuffle as I float through life. I didn't really get that into L7 back when they first came out, friends in college thought they were the shit and got caught up in that sort of hard rock thing (dare I say grunge, although L7 was from LA) circa 1987. Even though I thought of myself as pretty open minded musically at the time, I just didn't get the groove with these ladies.  These days this shit is right up my alley though as I crave a hard rhythmic type of thing over the screaming chaotic mess.  When I ripped this 7", which as stated in the title of this post, and was limited to 500 copies, I had just found and posted this ripper of a tune, L7 - Stick To The Plan So I came to realize that this band was well worth listening to and therefore posting.  This particular record is kinda cool in that it captures some of their earlier stuff in the form of the always cool, live Peel Session form.  Mentioned it a hundred times, but I'll be damned if it isn't cool to hear a live set through a soundboard and the Peel Sessions really capture that.  My favorite tune on here is the first one and I really like the Dead Kennedy's cover, but not one of these four songs stinks.  As Suzi Quatro said, "Rock Hard"...

Scrap Packing the Rod Shove Lynch the Landlord

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx2nYNJKOGg&w=560&h=315]

L7 and Karen Black doing "Bang Bang (He Shot Me Down)" originally done by Sonny and Cher, although Nancy Sinatra's was really good. [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI-RB9FDI3Q&w=420&h=315]

No comments:

Post a Comment