
This little scale illustrates what I've been talking about for a while. "The American dream is a nightmare." Someone has probably said that before, but in case they haven't, I have officially coined a phrase, and you read it first, here. I'm deep like that. Actually I'm too burned out to articulate what I'm thinking, which is really too bad because it's some deep shit. If you could listen to my phone calls at work you would hear a lot of "um" and "ah" and "oh" in between every phrase as my mouth waits for my brain to catch up. Anyway...what was I talking about...oh yeah...an interesting read about the Walmart phenomenon, a good example of that 475:1 thing, can be found at this site called
Corpocracy. Funny thing is that I have no choice but to shop at Walmart.
Speaking of corporate giants, someone please tell me why the hell I watch the NFL. I just love the game, so much so that I'll even watch teams play that I'm not really rooting for. Overpaid athletes and fat cat owners, paid by the networks selling advertising to other corporate giants. And of course also paid by overpriced tickets, parking, food, beverages, merchandise and whatnot. Blah, blah, blah you've heard it all before around here. Tried watching college and actually got into that, but even then I'm reminded that I didn't really like the jocks in high school or college. I suppose just like shopping at Walmart, by watching football I'm making my own little contribution to the machine.

Yet another 7" I got just because of the cover...almost peaceful, but really disturbing, with the syringe and the hands holding her down. Maybe it's just me but it's more disturbing than a headless corpse. So I like the cover art, but the music, well "um" and "ah" and "oh". Pork Queen is a techno/industrial improvised, instrumental ambiance kind of band and I didn't make it the main record featured in this post, because I just didn't get it. In fact, if I didn't like the cover so much I would probably sell it. This was released in 1993 and represents their third released. Of the two tunes here, "Gunman" has kind of grown on me just a teeny tiny little bit, but the other tune was neat because it had music in the runout groove, so it was endless and I had to use the fade (for the first time) while ripping.
Gunman
Italy, Spain, Europe, Logic
In case these guys are your thing, trip out on some more (even longer songs) from
WFMU's Beware of the Blog.

After the L7 post, my buddy Shawn mentioned a later L7 tune that is worth putting out there, for our listening pleasure...
L7 - Shitlist
He mentioned it as being from the cult classic (not sure what the criteria is for the that) movie
Tank Girl...some of my favorite underground type actors in that movie including Iggy Pop. Actually they do a different tune on that soundtrack and "Shitlist" is from the movie "Natural Born Killers" (another interesting movie, but I'm a fan of Juliette Lewis fan). I don't think the soundtrack for Tank Girl disappoints either, give that a spin
here. L7's tune on that soundtrack was good too, but I seem to like most of L7's stuff...
L7 - Shove
Speaking of Juliette Lewis, ever heard her music? She's got a good voice but the music for the most part is pretty weak. A couple of decent ones from their 1st EP, provided for reference purposes only...
Juliette and the Licks - 20 Year Old Lover
Juliette and the Licks - American Boy
Back to L7, my buddy Brain mentioned another tune worth posting from the John Waters movie "Serial Mom"...
L7 (aka Camel Lips) - Gas Chamber
Blah, blah, blah...that's a lot of babbling, on to the featured record


Got this one because it was Japanese, because it was a picture disc and because it was cheap. Back in 1984 when I got the P.E.A.C.E. comp, I was first exposed to Japanese hardcore with the likes of G.I.S.M. and the Execute. Been a sucker for shit from that country ever since. It's hit and miss really because you're a sucker or some kind of perpetrator of reverse prejudice to think that all music from those islands is worthwhile. In this case, in my humble opinion you get one hit and one miss. Ultimo Rausea, a Japanese band with a Portuguese name (or is it Spanish) play some straight forward post hardcore in the vein of old school hardcore on this release from 1998. I gotta be honest with you though, despite the harsh screaming they're pretty bland. I've played their side several times and it really does nothing for me. Now the flip side, the Barrell side is a different story. As I usually do, I listen to the music of the band I'm writing about. I'll be damned if I don't really dig these guys. More sophisticated by far than their counterpart and I guess just more interesting and definitely soulful. Give em both a try if you like, but tell me you don't like Barrel...
Ultimo Rausea-01-Rant & rave
Ultimo Rausea-02-Scal a wag
Barrel-03-Massive Displeasure
Barrel-04-Blue Mind
No comments:
Post a Comment