Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Papier Tigre 7"

OB-GD17HO1-001.pdfHooking up with some tuneage outta France this time round, the newest release from Papier Tigre. At their website, aptly named PapierTigre.com, it is said of them that, "Their music is firmly entrenched in the tradition of inventive, challenging punk but combines elements of experimental pop compositions and aggressive math-rock. The band understands that a song being intelligent and complex need not exclude it from having a raw, danceable energy." They also have a Facebook, a Twitter and a Bandcamp, where you can do gobs of listening to some of their past work.  First impression was that they sounded a bit like Jane's Addiction, a band my friends have always raved about, but one I never got into.  Papier Tigre, on the other hand are right up my alley and take the more palatable traits of JA and make them tasty.  I put them in my "Jazz Punk" category, one of my favorites, although sadly lacking in posts.  There is this unpredictability to the band where you don't know exactly what's going on or where the songs are gonna take you from one moment to the next, but the ride is a blast.  "Complex" was a word that was used and maybe I would take it one step further and call it sophisticated.  A driven and wild kind of sophistication, not uptight and boring. These guys aren't just dabbling with their instruments, their playing like each song may be the last they ever play.  This is a split release between Sick Room Records Ltd and Africantape. Sick Room were the guys who hit me up to give this a gander, but interesetiingly I could not find this release on the site, so I'm thinking they'll be putting that up once this is released on April 1st. Just the one song for sampling off this 7", I'm assumoing there's probably just two, so you've got to buy it to get your digs on the second one (like it used to be when we went to the record store, unless one of your buddies bought it first and you got a preview). Here's that one tune from Bandcamp and as I said, go there to get a lot more of a taste of what their about... http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/album=392542261/size=venti/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=4285BB/

Their best tune off their previous release, the "Recreation" LP... [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzML0gLKbjM&w=560&h=315]

Some live-ness... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAe-RvJotNI]

No comments:

Post a Comment