
Who says the Midwest doesn't know how to rock and roll? No doubt, rockers
False Trinity out of the dinky town of Mountain View, Missouri (I checked it out on Google Maps, 578 miles, the closest of any band I've reviewed so far) can give a guy a lesson or two on how to rock hard. From the outset, for me, they've got two things going for them, that small town inspiration, the kind fueled by boredom and disgust, and they're female fronted. And how about that band shot, stellar, whoever took that, hit the nail on the fucking head and could probably be taking pictures for coffee table books. After a couple of listens that left me smirking in aural delight, my response to Jennifer, who's on lead vox,
"Howdy Jen and thanx for hitting up Mustard Relics. I bet my small town is smaller than yours...hahaha. Nice to see southern mid-westerners rockin it out. I'm always down for a female fronted band, not a sexual or sexist thing, it's just that women are under represented in R&R. We need more Joan Jetts and Eve Libertines. Your band hits it hard at times and shows some variety in sound. My two favorites are the first and last tunes on your Reverbnation page, kinda more heavy Rock-ish. The rest of the tunes remind me of a band called Snot, neu metalish with the cookie monster vocals. You guys pull it off but I just prefer the other two. Is there anything you would like to add or say about the band, what you guys are about, influences, the scene there in Mountain View and the surrounding area, what you think about gas prices, etc."
She kindly responded to my response and queries,
"Thanks for the kind words, and I agree! Women are way under represented in the rock world (and most are only recognized for their sexy bodies). My father would always play guitar for me and my sisters when we were little (things like Eric Clapton and Lynard Skynard among others) and I always loved singing along. Then when I got older I learned to play guitar myself and started with just me and my Taylor. Then when I met my husband (Davis, the rhythm guitarist) we started this band with a few good friends. It was just a hobby for empty Friday nights filled with drinking games and lots of creativity. Davis and the other guitarist J.t. used to switch on and off with bass since we didn't have a bassist. So when picking a name we picked False Trinity not knowing the religious background of the name. But we were four and not three so we were, in truth, a false trinity. We've had a few people rag us about the name, but we just continue to tell them that it has no religious meaning at all. HA! Well anyway, we finally found a bassist and have been doing this for about 5 years now. We write about the crappy ass government, my epileptic brain or bad childhood experiences. Just life for us really... But we all love playing music and even if we don't make it big one day we will continue to do what we do. As for our first album, I want it to be out by the beginning of summer at least. The bassist Dustin and drummer Jake run their own studio called Jacks Fork Recording and they do all of our recording and mastering, so you can imagine that they are very, very picky... This is the third time we have recorded this album. First re-do was due to bassist change and the other two were because they just weren't happy with it. But I'd say we should have it completely done by at least May."
So, after many more listens to the six songs they have on their
Reverbnation, I'm digging on the whole thing. There's a lot going on each of these songs, and some serious complexity to the compositions. Jen has a fantastic voice, she has the ability to croon and then in the next verse bellow, reminding me a bit of the singer of Kittie (am I the only person that likes that band). The band itself, is this metallic rockin' thing and they can switch back and forth from almost a ballad type of pace, to chugga chunka, to a distorted jam, and they do so freely throughout these songs. From the picture, they look fairly young, but the sound is sophisticated and nobody sucks at playing their instrument. These guys/gal, hopefully have the opportunity to gig around and share their sound, and I imagine we'll be checking them out again when they get that LP released. My favorite tune is still the first one...
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXU3kUjYyU8]
No comments:
Post a Comment