Saturday, December 27, 2014

Captain Three Leg / Flvx Capacitor - digital split

C3L-FCFrom our harbinger of the day, "Hey, man. I stumbled onto your blog from a Brent's TV video you posted on YouTube and spent the last hour reading your reviews. I appreciate the amount of effort you put into your writing. My name is Andy. I ran a label called Mortville Records in the 1990s and 2000s, but it sort of petered out. I've been playing in a band called Captain Three Leg since 1995 that's flown under the radar for most people. No big deal, I play and record to entertain myself. A few years ago I decided to just stop releasing physical copies of our stuff because nobody was buying it. I like recording, but I don't like losing money pressing shit nobody wants. Bandcamp has been great for people like me who just want to get music out there for people to hear and don't care about money." You know, first off, it's nice that someone out of the blue, comes along and shows the blog some appreciation. Seven years of doing this here thing, and I know it's not mind melting shit, really just barely interesting at times, fuck, if it wasn't for the music there would be no point, what's the fucking point anyway. Well, creative souls like Andy, one of the rarely thanked, movers and shakers of scenes all over the world, make it all worthwhile. Imagine my delight when I put the proverbial needle into the groove and it turns out to be a vibe I haven't explored in a while, taking me back to my late teens. Captain Three Leg is some of the finest power violence, I call it post-hardcore, I've run across in years. This is the pinnacle of the evolution of hardcore, started by none other than Middle Class and ending with bands that took what little good there was in youth crew, beating it to a pulp with a ball-peen hammer. The vocals remind me of Infest or my buddy's band Lack of Interest, yelled x2, but understandable, not screamed beyond comprehension. The musicianship is razor blade sharp, stopping and starting on a dime, maneuvering around your head like a zero-turn mower. In the Winnie the Pooh hardcore punk world these guys are lightning fast bouncing around like Tiger at times and at others, deliberately plodding like Eeyore, in no rush at all. A little metallic here and there, with a very short burst of noodly solos and some chugga chugga chunking, and that's just fine with me. Something that makes the songs interesting is that there are these short little sound bites at the beginning of each one that serves as some sort of lead in or intro, I like that they took the time to put that kind of thought into these compositions. Overall, made my day, and the gravy is that it's a free fucking download ready to be loaded on your iPod!. Oh yeah, there's more, to top it off, this is a split release, so along with the sweet sounds of Captain Three Leg, the first three tunes are done by a late 80's (when it was still good) styled grindcore band (with a little PV thrown in) called Flvx Capacitor. The vocals here fall into the grunted, growled, screamed category and I can't understand a thing, reminding me of when I first heard Napalm Death, but like ND the songs come with lyrics and they're worth reading or following along if you dare. This shit has an old school sound too, nothing like the pop-grindcore of today. Only down side, only three songs. Go give this split a listen/download at their Bandcamp or check it out below...

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3710129569 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

No comments:

Post a Comment